It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

25.10.04

Candles

I guess that it was bound to happen. After two years, the powers that be (aka the office administrator) sent out an email saying that we can no longer burn candles. :( Allegedly b/c the smell is disrupting people’s allergies. I say allegedly b/c when I asked if we could burn non-scented candles then, I was told no b/c it was a fire hazard. Now, this irritates me b/c I’ve been burning them for two years, and if I wanted to burn the place down, I would have by now. But what can you do? Other than look for a new job. Which I just might do. The problem is, most law firms want you to be a cookie cutter attorney. And I’m most decidedly not. When I’m wearing a suit, I swear that I look like a teenager playing dress up. Some people wear a suit and you look at them and say, "that is an impressive person with power." I wear a suit, and you struggle not to smile at the sight of me trying to pretend to be adult. And fail. Gosh, I spend enough friggin' time here that I should be able to burn candles if I want too...

5 Comments:

  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said…

    I love that you mention the candles as a possiblity for leaving your job...you are too much : )

    And it might help you NOT look like a kid when you dress up in a skirt, if you didn't wear the kiddie barrettes and carry a lunchpail for a purse : )

    BUT my dear, that is why we love you...

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger melyssa said…

    don't you just hate those stupid rules at work? office politics and nonsense ... i soooo understand. hey if you have to leave your job because of candles, that's okay. sometimes it's the little things that push you over the edge.

    on the flip side i love wearing business suits b/c they make me look older and demand more respect (even though i should demand this anyway). but my job is really really casual. we can wear jeans and/or sweat pants to work.

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Michael Hickerson said…

    It sounds like you're working for the boss from "Office Space."

    Better make sure those TPS reports are correct!

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger p.p. said…

    The day you do decide to quit, I say you should have a huge bonfire on the middle of the firm conference table. That will show them. But make sure you use unscented wood.

     
  • At 1:35 AM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    A question - how hard is it for a lawyer to start her own practice and not have to worry about the cookie cutter stuff? If you were to do this, how would you get your first clients? Did you have to sign something to promise that you wouldn't take clients from your current employer? Just curious - it's late, I've been listening to the same Madness 30 second clip over and over, and Delta and the NRCC are being stupid. What a day...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.