It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

2.4.05

OK, my open challenge to winter...I take it back! You've made your point; I bow down to you. Please stop snowing! We are up to 5 inches today, with 2-12 inches expected overnight, depending on where you are in the snowbelt.

P.S. This means that the winter of 2004-2005 is the new Cleveland record for the most snowfall. We are at 103.2 inches as of 5 pm today. Blah.

AND my first football game was cancelled today. They didn't want to ruin the fields by playing in the slush and snow. I felt somewhat bad for everyone who had participated in the scavenger hunt today, running through the slush and snow for 4 hours taking pictures. We were frozen, and we (who planned the hunt) just walked from the first bar (where we got there at 10:30 for registration and yes, started drinking) to a second bar (for lunch where we continued drinking) back to the first bar. And that was about two blocks.

I left the bar around 8 pm. Some were still drinking and being social. I was *wiped* after drinking since 10:30 and whatnot, and the roads have been bad all day so I'd rather be home before I get tired. I get home and there is NO power in my house. I'm all irritated. First, I can't get my car in the garage then. Second, um...it's dark in my house. Third, the basketball game. Fourth, it's COLD in my house (I learned, today, that when the power goes out, I have no heat. This never occurred to me because I have gas heat. But evidently, gas heat uses an electric fan to push it. Thus, I get charged twice for heat, one for electricity, and once for gas. That's wrong.) Where was it? Oh, yeah, if I was going to come home to a dark house I would have stayed at the bar and continued drinking. Grr...Thankfully, it came on after about half an hour.

And the Pope died. That's the best day of his life, right?? The day he ascends to Heaven? We should be celebrating that he's dead? Right? I look at the Pope as the principal of the school - he makes the rules that the entire school has to follow. The teachers at the school - like the cardinals in the church - enforce those rules. Anyway, that's how I see it. Maybe it's because I'm not Catholic. But back to my point. Other than the fact that the Pope is old and had been sick for a long time and is finally out of pain, the "goal" of his life is going to Heaven. Yay, he did so today.

And via Dunner, check out this living will for a good laugh.
I have been compelled by recent events to prepare a more detailed advance directive dealing with end-of-life issues. Here's what mine says.
...
I want my wife to ruin the rest of her life by maintaining an interminable vigil at my bedside. I'd be really jealous if she waited less than a decade to start dating again or otherwise rebuilding a semblance of a normal life.
...
I'm not insisting on this as part of my directive, but it would be nice if Congress passed a "Bobby's Law" that applied only to me and ignored the medical needs of tens of millions of other Americans without adequate health coverage.
...
Because I think I would retain my sense of humor even in a persistent vegetative state, I'd want President Bush - the same guy who publicly mocked Karla Faye Tucker when signing off on her death warrant as governor of Texas - to claim he was intervening in my case because it is always best "to err on the side of life."
...
Seriously, check out the rest. It's well worth the read.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:29 AM, Blogger Dern said…

    Gas typically is still cheaper than electric heat. This doesn't help any, but if you've got a gas stove, it still works when the electricity is out (provided you've got matches)....there's always standing huddled over the stove to keep warm....actually that doesn't sound like fun either......

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    No, my stove is electric. I did light about 30 candles though. And it ended up being not too terribly long from the time that I got home (it was out 8 hours total I guess).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.