It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

5.4.05

Seriously, I don't know what else God can do to convince Prince Charles that he should not marry Camilla....

Speaking of marriage:

Cousins' marriage highlights relationship controversy


It began as the kind of childhood crush that often becomes family lore shared at reunions years later.

Eventually, first cousins Donald W. Andrews Sr. and Eleanore Amrhein realized they had a deeper love and wanted to wed. It couldn't happen in their home state of Pennsylvania, though, or 23 other states that prohibit first cousins from marrying each other.

Instead, they tied the knot in Maryland last month.

Well, then...I guess this is one of those things that I can't understand. They are your relatives. You love them, but you aren't *in* love with them. It's all very Flowers In The Attic to me... Part of me understands that the additional risk of birth defects is only 2-3% higher. It's not a guarantee. But first, it's an unnecessary risk (and inbreeding dogs makes them stupider; why wouldn't the same be true about humans?). Second, there are more than 6 billion people in the world, you can't find someone you aren't related to?

So March Madness is finally over, with NC beating Illinois in the final minutes. It got interesting at the end of the game, but I have to say, the first half, and even a large part of the second half, that was the MOST BORING GAME EVER. Part of me would have liked Illinois to win, just so THE ONLY game that they lost the entire season was to Ohio State. But I guess we can't all have what we want. I did not do well on any of my brackets. Of course, picking Syracuse in the Championship game wasn't my smartest move...But I still did better than the advice I got...

As we know, this is one of my favorite times of the year...baseball season. The big story this year: Will Ichiro hit .400?? Other less important stories: Will Bonds come back this season (11 away from Ruth.) Steroids. Ahh...I do love my baseball.

But what is this about this being the final year for St. Louis' Busch Stadium? Damn. First, how did I miss that? Second, I don't have TIME to get to a game there, BUT on my quest to hit every stadium, I have no choice. Grr...I hit Veterans Stadium the season before it was demolished, and I even went to Montreal before the Expos became the Nationals. What choice do I have?? (OK, I need about 2 weeks and just hit a bunch of stadiums, I know. Rather than this 1 a year approach I've been doing. I hit 1 a year, but they built a new stadium so it's like nothing got done.)

Peter Jennings has lung cancer. To be honest, I'm not a huge Peter Jennings fan but it does seem like the end of the anchor era. I guess he'll still be anchoring, but you understand what I mean.

And the picture of the Pope dressed in that red and white outfit. I am sorry; I know this is awful and I'm going to hell, but he looks like Santa Claus.

I feel somewhat guilty. Having a blog called "It's The End Of The World As We Know It," you wouldn't believe some of the hits I get. From people truly concerned if the world is going to end. These people are looking to me for guidance. I ain't got it. I have discussed the Pope in general. After the Pope's death, I got swamped. I guess that Nostradamus said something about a certain number of popes before the world would end?? Or at least that's the rumor. (It's so hard to tell what are real Nostradamus predictions and which are pretend nowdays.) But I had no idea about that before I started getting all of these hits. It's not as good as the day I got a hit for "oral sex blog" but the fate of the world is far more consistent with my hits. At least 5 daily, generally. Really, there are, like, 1001 different predictions about when the world will end (or when it should have ended). If there was one glaringly obvious one, we'd all know by now, right? Other than that, I'd think that almost any day can be the end of the world. I'm an optimist that way. I wish I had a more academic answer for you, but I just don't.

And Kevin's Indians request. For those who aren't baseball fans, he's assuming that the Twins win again. Hmm...I would not be so confident if I were him...I shall discuss this later. I promise. But...you like to bet...what to put some money where your confidence is??

9 Comments:

  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Totally off-topic (sorry), but why is my site listed as NEW! over on the sidebar?

    Just curious.

    Take care.

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    This couple is from Altoona, the area where Hawk grew up & where we both attended HS. I call the area "Bumblefuck" and this is part of the reason.

    BTW: The smell of glove oil is in the air.

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Something about a girl who loves baseball enough to want to hit every stadium for every team... I'm impressed. ;)

    I went to Busch last summer. Don't go in mid-august when it's 90 degrees if you can help it. The astroturf in that place and teh shape of it seems to focus all teh heat right on the stands. Nice stadium I suppose but the new one will be really swanky it seems.

    I prefer minor league ball myself. Smaller 'cozier' parks. The AAA Indianapolis Indians open up this Thursday (voted best minor league ballpark in America :D )and it'll be my 4th opening day in a row since I moved to Indy.

    Of course, it's going to rain.

    Again. (I think 3 out of 4 years have had rain)

    I'm probably going to games at the Cubs, Reds and Cardinals this year. Maybe White Sox. Never been to an Indians (Cleveland variety) game.

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Matthew, It means that you updated your blog in the last 2 hours.

    Eden, I love that smell! :)

    JasonB, What can I say, I love my baseball. I don't mind summer heat though. I enjoyed AAA when I lived in NY and in PA (where there were AAA teams in the cities where I lived). I enjoyed that you could wait for the ballplayers outside their locker room too - this is the strategy to stalk Jody Gerut when he gets off the DL and is on rehab too. :) I went to opening day for the big Indians last year. It was fucking freezing, as April in Cleveland is prone to be.

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger Kevin Whinnery said…

    Stephanie, you are correct - I am something of a gambling man ;). But a good poker player gambles like "the house" gambles... meaning that the house never makes a bet that isn't going to go their way more often than is fair to their competitors. So in the spirit of uneven wagers, I will take you up on your challenge for who is going to win the AL Central crown this year.

    The Indians are a fun team to watch, but the Twins have two very nasty Venezuelans, two wily veterans, and a preponderance of brothers that throw mid nineties who all think that they ought to win the Central instead. And that's not mentioning a much improved offense featuring my former high school and little league teammate Joe Mauer - The One, as he is colloquially known in St. Paul. I don't know if his ability to dodge bullets will come into play during the season, but he sure hits and throws the baseball pretty well.

    If it pleases the court, I will post a rough draft of the terms of our wager on my blog sometime this evening or tomorrow morning, where you can comment on it. And please don't take offense to my unabashed love of the Minnesota Twins - in a Randy Moss and Latrell Sprewell world, they're all I have to love.

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger melyssa said…

    "Well, then...I guess this is one of those things that I can't understand. They are your relatives. You love them, but you aren't *in* love with them."


    Some people feel the same way about same sex marriages.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    There is scientific evidence suggesting that homosexuality is not a *choice.* You CHOOSE your relationships, not your orientation. Moreover, there are no genetic problems with same sex marriage.

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger melyssa said…

    by saying some people feeling the same way, i meant some people don't understand same sex marriages and they feel you can love someone of the same sex, but not be in love with someone of the same sex.

    i'm sure you don't dispute that some people feel that way.

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger melyssa said…

    additionally, i would argue that you don't choose who you fall in love with. but that's just from personal experience.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.