It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

3.10.04

It's The End Of The World As We Know It Disappointment

So the Move On/America Coming Together Vote for Change concert the other night was amazing. It was supposed to start at 7 but didn't actually start until almost 7:30. But they played until just after midnight. That was over 4 1/2 hours of music. Sweet. Not as much snarky Bush comments as I was hoping for/expecting. Sadly. Most of it was telling people to register voters by 4 pm Monday. Though later in the evening, Michael Stipe was wearing a Kerry t-shirt.
First, the opening emo band (I hate that word, by the way, and the fact that Bright Eyes appears to be a self-described emo band makes me cynical as to whether they are the Dashboard Confessionals type of sound that I actually adore), Bright Eyes, was pretty good. I had never heard of them before. The lead singer was a spitter. I mean, it was hysterical he was such a spitter. They had the video feed, and we were all debating whether his hair was wet and is was flying off his hair or whether he was spitting. Later, it became clear that he was spitting every time he annunciated. Hysterical. He made the only real Bush comment, when he said that when you are the sole superpower, you can't have a fucking moron in charge, and that a vote for Bush was like shitting in your own bed.

Michael Stipe was all over. I mean he was great, just like he always was (wearing a white suit and looking as adorable as ever with his blue eyes and dimples.) But he'd start to tell stories and forget where he was in the story. And another point, he started singing the wrong verse to Man On The Moon and had to stop the rest of the band and make them start the verse over. (Bruce Springsteen came out and sang Man On The Moon with him.) He admitted that the night before (their first live performance since Nov. of last year) they were all nervous and that he still was. And I was irritated because people in the crowd kept yelling "Bruce" during REM's set. Umm...hello, this isn't some unknown opening act. This is RE fucking M. Grr... The biggest sin of the evening was that they didn't sing It's The End Of The World As We Know It. Ugh! I mean, it's their closing anthem and they deprived me of it. Ugh Ugh Ugh! :( I couldn't have been more depressed about that if I tried. Not that I didn't love my REM on stage. I was in heaven. But that song is like...bliss. So saddened even though I was happy. I really like Final Straw and they played that though (as well as about 5 songs off their new album, including Leaving New York, which Michael was REALLY into and sang with his eyes closed). They played Losing My Religion, which the crowd liked, and opened with The One I Love, which the crowd also dug. Because we are in Ohio he played Cuyahoga, but I don't think they play that anyone else but here. (But everytime they play here... I am basing that solely on the fact that the four times Ive heard them here, they have, but when I saw them in Toronto they did not.)

When Bruce Springsteen came in, it was apparent that I just don't know any Bruce Springsteen songs. In fact, John Fogarty played with him in about 6 songs, and I knew more of those songs that I knew of Bruce Springsteen songs. Ah, well, I bought the ticket for REM anyway. At one point, Michael came out and they sang Because The Night. That was awesome. For the last few songs, everyone was on stage. It was one crowded stage. They closed the night all singing The People Have The Power. Sweet. I just don't get the Bruce appeal. And he was like a preacher.

Sitting behind me was some old guy from California who bought tickets and flew in just for the concert. It was interesting. He is a lifetime Republican. And when I say a lifetime Republican, he has voted for every Republican president since Eisenhower. He said for the first time in his life, he is casting a vote for a Democratic presidential candidate. He told me, "I didn't leave the Republican Party; the Republican Party left me."

My favorite part were the Republicans there. Less thatn 1% but they were there with their Bush/Cheney t-shirts and signs. Umm...this is a liberal concert. Do you really think there are any undecided at the concert that are going to see their signs (among the sea of Kerry stuff - which EVERYONE else had on - and think, "Oh, wait, Bush and Cheney are running? Oh, I better think about this." The people were already made up. So their 1% wasn't doing anything. Even better, they paid at least $75 for these tickets. And that money is going to put ANTI-BUSH ads on the tv in these swing states. You just paid the 527s to promote that message. Bravo.

And beforehand some protesting outside who hadn't bought tickets (THAT I understand) made a comment that they do not believe that singers should be talking politics and that they have a right not to buy the artists music. You know what, you absolutely have that right. But guess what, these artists realized they would lose some fans and sales, and they decided that the sales weren't as important to them as getting their opinion out.

I'd also like to say that Bring Ohio Back (a Hollywood thing) was also in town, which had Chad Lowe, Martin Sheen, Hilary Swank, Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedwick, among others, walking around the West Side Market and other areas registering people to vote. So anyway, they were all at the Vote for Change Concert. And of the two in Cleveland (the other was the Dixie Chicks and James Taylor) they ALL went to the REM one. I'd like to say that I saw them there and that I got to meet them - wouldn't that be a cool story - but I didn't even know they were there until the next day. At the concert I mean, I knew they were in town with Bring Ohio Back.

Of course, what we are all wondering - yes, my mother is still mad at me for missing the wedding, she gave me a lecture on appearances and sometimes we have obligations and must do things that we don't want to do. Sigh. Why do my "obligations" include attending weddings for my cousins when I will just be miserable the entire time? Fuck appearances.

And in a side bit of fun, I did go to the wedding part (I just missed the reception) and so going through the receiving line, my godparents asked me, "When are we going to get married." Sigh. Didn't we just have that conversation at the family reunion in July? And at the Greek festival the next month? And the wedding shower the week after that? It's getting old. So I'm irritable (because nothing is more irritating that a Greek wedding with all the "woman is subservient and must obey her husband" blah - oh, wait, having to explain to my relatives that I'm not going to get married just for the sake of being married IS more irritating.)

Where was I? Oh, yes, so I'm irritable and I tell them "Never." My godmother - at her son's wedding - gets tears in her eyes and said, "you aren't going to invite me to the wedding?" Shit. (I'm only SOMEWHAT consoled by the fact that it was her son's wedding and that she was emotional overall.) "No, I meant that I'm not getting married." [I don't necessarily mean that, but I'm SO tired of the question. I'm thisclose to telling my family that I'm gay just to get them off my case (and get them praying for me every night. I can probably use the karma). Of course, then I'll meet some guy and fall in love and get engaged, and one day they will tell him that they are so happy that I met him because I'm gay and then I'll have to explain why I lied to my family, and he'll think that I'm pure evil for lying to my family like that, and we'll break off our engagement, and then it will just confirm to my family my lie in the first place, after my fiance and I break off our engagement. So obviously, lying to my family is out.]

Again, where was I? Oh, yeah, I tell her I'm not getting married. So my godfather tells me, "You are too smart to not get married." Umm...what does that even mean??? What is too smart to not get married? Or too smart to get married? I was under the impression that getting married about about love, not about logic. Maybe that's my problem there. I've been waiting to FEEL something and evidentially I'm just supposed to think something. My godparents have two more kids they can concentrate on rather than me...

OH, and you want to hear bogus? They opened with their vows! Greek Orthodox weddings traditionally don't HAVE the vows like you see on tv.) Oh, if anyone wants to read about Greek Orthodox weddings (though I can't imagine why), check here.

And in sporting news: Ohio State lost Saturday night TO NORTHWESTERN (can you GET any more pathetic? I doubt it. I can't think of anything more pathetic.) The Browns won Sunday at home against Washington (I was at my grandparents swearing at the game for most of it, and my cousins from Chicago were all laughing at me. Umm...I realize that you've been out of Cleveland for the last 15 years, but come on, you never lose your team. Ugh.) (Does anyone else find it ironic that I'm fundamentally opposed to commitment except when it comes to my sports teams?) The Indians lost the first game Sunday (Saturday's game was postponed in the 12th inning b/c of the college football game - have you ever heard of anything more ridiculous?!? and they picked up the game in the 12 inning on Sunday) and they won the second game. So they finished the season at 80-82. They have a lot to build on. Omar answers come on Monday (PLEASE KEEP OMAR!) Most importantly, by winning, they DENIED the Twins home field advantage throughout the playoffs, so they have to go to NY for round one (instead of playing Boston with home field advantage.) So that was the weekend of sports. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad weekend. I still need to process it.

And on an unrelated note, I heard that Jack and Bobby was already renewed for 2005. Yay. I adore that show.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think your theory about REM only playing Cuyahoga in Ohio is right b/c they didn't play it when I saw them in Colorado. I'm so jealous that you got to see them, even if they didn't play "End of the World as We Know it"! Also, I don't think Michael forgetting lyrics is a new thing; when I saw him, he was reading the lyrics off sheets. But, I adore him even if he can't remember his own lyrics.

    Bruce Springsteen disturbs me - I think it is largely due to that song with the lyric "Hey Little Girl is Your Daddy Home." Ick. Child molestation.

    jennie

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger p.p. said…

    Sounds like a fun concert. I'm glad you had a nice time. "RE fucking M" Nice! haha.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.