It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

27.12.04

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! My family celebrated New Years Eve last night. The best part of this is, I've only gotten to spend one New Year's Eve separate from my family in 28 years because it's my grandmother's favorite holiday. So everyone comes in for it. But this year, since we celebrated on the 26th, on the 31st when the *rest* of the world celebrates New Years Eve...I can too!! Break out the champagne.

And I have TWO (yes two) baby showers in the next two weeks. Way lots of familyness. Here's my question though. The one in Sunday the 2nd. This is the same couple who got married on the 4th of July. Do these two have some sort of goal to ruin holidays for everyone? Give me a break. Ugh.

My cousin in Afghanistan called home on Saturday, so we know that he's ok. That's good. But this is funny. He was "adopted" by some random teacher's third grade class. I guess they get lists of names and just choose one and adopt them. Anyway, they've written a few times, and he wrote them back a few times. His picture is in their classroom. Anyway, the latest letter, "I hope that you have the bestest Christmas ever. And if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you are going to burn in hell." My cousin's response. "The bestest Christmas ever? I'm in Afghanistan. Even the worst Christmas I've ever had at home is 100 times better than this. And as for burning in hell? I'm already there." He decided he's not going to write the kids anymore. Good call.

Speaking of Ahghanistan, does anyone remember that we are there?? And while Iraq is constantly on the news, Afghanistan almost never is. The death count for US soldiers in Iraq is available, it's even in my local newspaper daily, including names. Guestimates on the numbers of civilians dead in Iraq are available, and yet I haven't been able to find numbers of the dead in Afghanistan. I find that frustrating. These soldiers are largely ignored because of the horror in Iraq. That isn't fair to those soldiers who have died. Or those who are fighting.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Dennis! said…

    Wow, that "accept Jesus or burn in hell" letter is so off the hook. You would think the teacher would have screened that kind of comment out -- unless she condones telling our soldiers that their sacrifice for this country means nothing and isn't respectable if they're not Christian. If I were your cousin, I would totally write back a few choice words to that kid -- along the lines of, "Take your proselytizing sanctimonious crap and shove it."

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger melyssa said…

    i'm glad your cousin is okay. being american in afghanistan must be like being black in america. at least it will end for him and he'll get to come back home one day.

     
  • At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dennis, no kidding! The school is a Catholic school though, so I'm sure the teacher didn't mind. What is odd is, my cousin was raised uber religious. Attend church camps religious. I am not sure what his stance is now, but the audacity...

    Melyssa, well, he has to kill people and he gets shot at on a daily basis for being an American in Afghanistan. And to think it's better than than Iraq... Just remember, as bad as it is, you aren't getting shot at on a daily basis. :( But hey, that's war, right?? In terms of being "different," that's probably a good analogy. Even the kids stare at them.

     
  • At 1:50 AM, Blogger melyssa said…

    no, not "physically" shot, dennis!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.