It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

15.7.04

High School

So today, I went to happy hour with someone from high school. We weren't especially close in high school, though we had lots of classes together and several extra curriculars. But it's been ten years and hey, we're all different people now, right? It was actually really nice catching and and taking about things going on as adults. (She's an attorney as well actually, so the same shit just different areas of shit.)
 
Actually, this was the reverse of last week, when Jen was in town and I saw someone from high school who was really not in my group of peoples  but again, ten years blah. Anyway, he made a comment about how he wasn't class president of our senior class because the girl who won, her mother counted the ballots and stole the election. And I was so disturbed by this on so many levels. I mean, it's been ten years. Let.it.go.
 
And all this relates to: I have a ten year reunion coming up next month which I've been thinkin' about lately. I'm not sure if I'm going to go. I hated high school. I don't just mean that I didn't like it, I mean I hated it. I always felt out of place. I now know that almost everyone felt that way, but seriously, it was miserable time and I absolutely hated it. I hated it enough to essentially leave after three years and take classes at the community college instead, credits I never transferred (though I could have) but invaluable b/c it got me out of hell. And the one person I still talk to from high school moved 3000 miles away and is not going either. (Oh, and the reunion is held at adult Chuck-E-Cheese. A fun place to go, but for a reunion?? It just seems so classess, so "high schoolish," so "we-are-still-17.") All excellent reasons not to go. If you put a scale, and on one side is my curiousity, all of these things weigh on the other side. What's the balance? I have no idea, but that's the scale.
 
But that's not the real balance. Most importantly, I do not feel like the last ten years have been very successful.  So really, to go to a place where everyone already made me feel like a failure, when I already feel like a failure on my own, does not seem very good for one's self-esteem. But aren't you supposed to look back at high school with nostalgia, remember all the good times and forget all the bad (and to be honest, I can only recall one particular bad moment, the rest is just the feeling that I hated it.)  I don't know. Sigh. I hate being an adult. Can't I just hide under the covers and be a kid again?

4 Comments:

  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said…

    Dear God. If anyone else is reading this post forgo the failure part of the message, Stephanie must have been having a blue day...cause she is wildly successful...one of the most successful brilliant, kind, generous person you will ever be blessed enough to run into on this earth...

    And she owns her own kick ass HUGE house that I will live in once I get kicked out of Buffalo for not paying rent and never graduating...ahem. now who is the loser? : )

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Erinna said…

    I concur! Well, at least with the part about Stephanie being successful. Chin up, girl. You're awesome!

    And, uh, Jen...you'd better not get kicked out of Buffalo for not paying rent, because then I'll be screwed.

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    Success is NOT defined as having a career, at least not by my definition.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said…

    Interesting, I do not think I said the word CAREER once when mentioning your success, my dear...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.