It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

13.7.04

Since when is integrity a bad thing???

So I’ve spoken about opposing counsel, the bitch counsel, before. I’ll call her BC, which strikes me as extremely humorous and I can’t share why. Anyway, BC is just mean! She was rude to the elevator guy. I mean, I have stories. Proof that would stand up in any court of law.

But let’s start with me TRYING to be nice. We have a really bad judge on the case. Literally, in 2003, she was reversed more than any other judge in Ohio. But that was not a fluke. She was also in 2002, 2001, and 2000. And that’s as far back as I know. Anyway, the fun saying about her is, if you lose at trial, you usually win, because she will be reversed. She is a bad judge. (And yet, has the right name and just keeps on getting elected again and again.) Again, I have stories. But let’s ignore that. Where was I? Oh, yes, being nice. (Which, as many can attest, is unnatural for me. “Dogs and cats, living together. Total pandemonium.”) Anyway, we have this trial date in August and she is in trial until the week before. I’m greatly concerned about this, and keep asking, “is one week enough to get ready for trial?” Because this is NOT an easy case; I’d assume there are about 20 witnesses to prepare for, literally thousands of potential documents (and lest you think I’m exaggerating, BC produced to me, in no discernible order, just under TWO MILLION pieces of paper to go through in response to discovery. Some as irrelevant as her Christmas cards in 1997, and unfortunately, NO, that is not a smart ass comment, that is, in fact, part of what she produced. I am not sure what she thought it was responsive to. I’m relatively sure I didn’t ask for “All Christmas cards you have ever gotten and your kindergarten photo.” But sure enough, she produced them. TWO MILLION.)

Anyway, I brought up (about three times) “are you sure this gives you enough time.” I’m thinking, “the judge can’t be unreasonable enough to make her prepare for this case in a week, when the jury instructions, brief, etc are due when she’s in trial and can’t do them, can he?” And now, keep in mind, the less prepared SHE is, the better I am! But that’s not my style. I’m concerned. And in response, she keeps saying (and you can’t fully appreciate this without her snooty voice actually mouthing the words), “Yes, Stephanie.” She might as well have said, “I’m not as unorganized as you.” I have a t-shirt that says, “BITE ME” and I wear it. Or my “MEAN PEOPLE SUCK” shirt. It’s a toss up.

So now, another partner is at her office for another case (i.e. NOT the partner on the case with me, who she has ALREADY complained to about me) is in her office for a deposition with another attorney in her office. (i.e. NOT EVEN HER). And she comes up to him and asks him, “how are you training your associates nowday?” and he asks what she meant, and she makes a cat’s noise. And he says, “you must mean Stephanie.” (Now, I feel the need to jump in and inform you that he did not guess this based on her description, but because he knows I’ve been having problems with her. My firm is like a family. Which means the family gossip runs quickly, especially about the resident black sheep attorney family member, adorable and likeable as she may be.) So he tried to convince her that she’d really like me if she gave me a chance. He told her that I have high standards of integrity, and those standards can be somewhat inflexible, and that at times I get easily hurt and take a hard stance if I perceive that someone had not met those rigid requirements or has done something subjectively wrong. But really, SHE is complaining about ME? She takes ONE comment I say COMPLETELY out of context (and for the record, almost had me crying I was so scared), she frightens me beyond belief b/c she is SO angry and rude and nasty to me, she refuses to even acknowledge me when I talk to her, she refuses to take my calls, and SHE is complaining about ME? This must be the inflexible high standards of integrity demanding one be NICE to people.

Actually, I haven’t processes yet (and yes, it’s been eleven days since he told me all this, but it’s been a BUSY eleven days) so I can’t disagree or agree with his determinations on my character at this time, until I’ve done some soul searching. I know back when I was in high school, a teacher called me an elitist. I just wasn’t willing to tolerate stupidity. Maybe this is it, but further developed b/c, after all, I’m older.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Erinna said…

    Hey, you changed your template!

    And ugh to the BC. Sounds horrendous. :P

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    I already tried living in NYC. I found it overrated. And I'm allergic to public transportation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.