It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

5.12.04

Happy Hour Disclosures

I am less than sober right now. My best friend and my brother came over to choose colors for my house. We were watching Jack and Bobby episodes because I love the show and am trying to convert them, and we were drinking sangria and finished the bottle. Unfortunately, my brother was drinking beer and my best friend was drinking wine coolers. But I did spill a little on my (white) floor.

Anyway, I went to some professional organization's Happy Hour the other day. (It was for "work." I'm "making contacts." You know, "networking." It's not for the alcohol. Riiight.) Anyway, I was talking to a few people about Butch Davis's resignation/termination, and one of the girls asked me if I was a man trapped in a woman's body. Huh??

She THEN told us that she is a gay man trapped in a woman's body. Wow. That's TOO much information for someone I met ten minutes ago. You should have seen the two guys standing there. Mouths agape. No idea what to say. It was hysterical. I mean, I've had a lawsuit concerning transsexuals once; I've even known a couple in New York City. But wow. And she's a GAY man? (I think that's the part that really threw me. The gay part.) Meaning that she still likes men. So why does she think she's a man?? I don't get it.

That was WAY too much...weirdness...for me on a random night. And are such revelations part of networking? (Or was it a consequence of the tequila shots she did?) But then I was wondering - how does one know that they are a gay man trapped in a woman's body? (And unlike when a woman is trapped in a man's body and takes hormones and undergoes snipping, is there any thing you can do?

So now I'm at the bar, and all I can think is, "who else is a gay man trapped in a woman's body" or vice versa. I'm actually looking at people playing some sort of mental game wondering this. No more polite conversation networking for me. (I don't mean to make light of the condition. I really don't. But the comment seriously threw me. When I went to the happy hour, that was the last thing I expected to hear, you know?)

I think my friend is appalled at my choice of colors in the kitchen. Yellow wall top half, blue wall bottom half, red trim. All primary colors (in the art sense, not in the science sense, which I guess was red, blue and green as primary colors. I don't get it.) But anyway, I think that the kitchen will resemble a kindergarten classroom, and I think that this is a brilliant idea.

I have to go to bed now. I'm out of drink and I'm exhausted.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:14 AM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    I think it all started from her assumption that if you like sports, you must not be truly female. I can't stand for that, especially since:

    (1) I have a daughter, and I don't want her to think sports are for boys. And she doesn't - she was on the volleyball team (until she broke her leg), she's on the basketball team, and she's still begging me to take her to an L.A. Sparks game.

    (2) Many of my blog hits from search engines are from fans of female sportscaster Krystal Fernandez (although I'm not sure that they like her because of her winning percentage of Monday Night Football picks).

    Are there Baltimore Ravens fans out your way? We still have a number of Oakland Raiders fans here, but not that many St. Louis Rams fans any more. I am cursed by being a Redskins fan, and in fact wrote something once in my other blog postulating that if Joe Gibbs doesn't work out, Dan Snyder will try to bring George Allen back...

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said…

    LOVE those colors, I think that is a brilliant idea, and the red will flow with the eventual furniture in either the large TV-Fireplace room or the front living room, right?

    You have some stories to tell woman...a gay man trapped in a womans body. Whew....

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not sure what she meant, but it's kind of a refreshing change from hearing straight men claim to be lesbians trapped in a male body.

    j

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.