It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

4.1.05

Today was my first day back at work in 2 weeks. But in some ways, it was even more than that because I was so ahead of my billable hours last year, it will be the first time since August that I really have to work work. I've gotten three and a half months where I was treating my job as less than a 40 hour a week job because, well, I could.

Now, it's January, and all of a sudden, I have to actually work. I can't rely on the fact that I had a month where I billed 252 hours, and another two months where I biled 230 hours, and I'm way ahead. (For most of the year, I had either the most or, more often, the second most hours of all associates. I'm sure after December, where I didn't even hit 100 hours, I'm not, but for 11 months of the year, I was.) So now it's really hard to get back into the grindstone. It's been so long since I had to work work. Depressing, actually. Luckily, the lottery is 67 million tomorrow, and so I figured I have nothing else to do, I might as well win it.

I also think that for some reason, 2005 makes me feel old. In a way that none of my birthdays ever have. (Except maybe 24, which really sucked because I wasn't in my early 20s anymore. I think it was psychological.) AS for this 2005 thing, maybe because it's halfway through the decade? Meanwhile, I still feel like I'm an irresponsible transient in college. But I've come to realize, over the last few days, that I'm all directionless. Without a "next goal" to attain. It was so easy for a while. I had college. Check. Then law school. Check. Clerkship. Check. Law Firm. Check. House. Check. Now the hell what?? What is the next goal to attain? Where am I going with this life I've created? Or more aptly put, "What exactly am I doing here and more importantly, why has no one caught me impersonating an adult?"

When I was in college, a friend warned me that this would happen. She was a year old then I was, and unlike me, she had no idea what she wanted to do after she graduated. I had this nice little coccoon of "law school" to protect me as graduation neared, that all of the "adulthood is coming" fears just brushed past me on their way to someone else. She warned me that I was just as amorphous as she was, I just would take longer to realize it. It turns out that she was right...


Finally, Jen reports that I, as a "brainy woman," am destined to never marry.
Brainy women face handicap in marriage stakes: British survey

LONDON (AFP) - A high IQ is a hindrance for women wanting to get married while it is an asset for men, according to a study by four British universities published in The Sunday Times newspaper. The study found the likelihood of marriage increased by 35 percent for boys for each 16-point increase in IQ. But for girls, there is a 40-percent drop for each 16-point rise, according to the survey by the universities of Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh and Glasgow. "Women in their late 30s who have gone for careers after the first flush of university and who are among the brightest of their generation are finding that men are just not interesting enough" said psychologist and professor at Nottingham University Paul Brown in The Sunday Times.

Claire Rayner, writer and broadcaster, said in the article that intelligent men often prefered a less brainy partner."A chap with a high IQ is going to get a demanding job that is going to take up a lot of his energy and time. In many ways he wants a woman who is an old-fashioned wife and looks after the home, a copy of his mum in a way."
So...if the average IQ is 100, and there is a 40% drop for every 16 points your IQ is above that, it is more than 100% likely that I'm never getting married. Hey, I might as well get a few more cats then, huh? I guess the good news is, no one else will be irritated that I can't cook. The bad news, I was really hoping to marry a chef...

3 Comments:

  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Kevin Whinnery said…

    I wouldn't worry about it, Stephanie. Marriage is something that should only happen if you happen to find someone you absolutely can't live without - someone who perfectly compliments you as a person. As this is rare, I feel that marriages should be similarly rare, but that's just me...

    If I may digress into a thought experiment for a moment, maybe we should treat all marriages like we currently treat homosexual domestic partnerships. Demonize the very institution of marriage, and make it so painful socially and legally to get married that only the most committed of man/woman couples will persevere and actually get married.

    Do you have any idea how gay partnerships compare to straight marriages in terms of stability? I'm guessing the "divorce" rate for gay couples in a domestic partnership is much, much lower...

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Oh, I'm not actually worried about it. Nor do I have designs to get married anytime soon. If I am even capable of marriage, which I highly doubt. I just found it humerous. I agree that perhaps "marriages" should be treated as domestic partnerships - assuming we give domestic partnerships legal rights. I have no idea what the "divorce" rate is, but I do know that there have already been divorces from last year's gay marriages.

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    You *know* me Alli. First, you know that my standards are ridiculously high and that no one can live up to them, the reason that they are so high. Second, think about some nice guy...Would you really want to subject him to the torture that is otherwise known as me?? Of course not. I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy. No, I realized long ago that I wasn't meant for marriage. I just didn't know there was a *reason* behind it. Now I feel vindicated. It's a depressing statistic, but vindicated nonetheless.

    Besides, a "next goal" is something that I have control over and can achieve on my own. Getting married doesn't fall into that category.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.