It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

16.7.04

Asking Artsy Assistance

I love art. I mean, I love art. I can’t paint to save my life, and it makes me like it even more. Other things I could do. I mean, I can’t cook, but I could if I ever thought that cooking was a necessity in life, you know? I can’t sing, but when I was in high school and was in choir, I obviously could, as I was in musicals and had solos and whatnot. So there are things that I can’t do and things that I CAN’T do. Anything visual artsy falls into the category of things that I CAN’T do.

So anyway, not only is my house is full of paintings, but my office has painting as well. Two of them:

The first one in my office is reflective, so it’s appropriately named Reflections by Lee Teter. (My frame is somewhat different, a dark brown with a very small gold line around.) I have to have this behind me b/c if I were to see it all day, I’d be sad. I can’t be reflective all the time. People come into my office and ask if I knew anyone who died in the Vietnam War. (Of course, I was born in 1976...) Anyway, they are always perplexed when I say no, and then I’m always perplexed why we have to personally know anyone who suffered to have compassion. What does that say about us? I find it sad that we seem to believe that we have to be personally affected to care about something. Shame on us.
 
The second is one by Tavlos. If you don’t know him and you like bright, vivid colors and wildness, you should really check him out! I’m absolutely desperate for his screen door, and a running joke was that I was going to buy a house just so I could get a screen door. Particularly, this one. So the next time I have $1300 hanging around, I’m going to get it. I just love it. In my office I have the Party Animals posted. Signed. With a pink frame which, by the way, completely works. And if I EVER get money, then I want a mural. THAT way I wouldn’t have to worry about how to decorate my house. I mean, it’s sheer brilliance. Brilliance, I tell you.
 
So my favorite painting goes back and forth. It’s usually either Van Gogh’s Starry Night or Edvard Munch’s The Scream, both of which are in my family room in my house and both of which are my favorite for different reasons. I won’t bore you with those reasons, because I could talk forever about them both. Other favorites include Michaelangelo’s The Creation of Adam/Hand of God but my print ONLY includes the hands, which is in my living room. I saw the Sistene Chappel in 2001, and was just in awe. I was surprised that didn’t kick me out for spending too much time there. I mean, it’s phenomenal. Awe inspiring. HE CREATED THAT. Somehow. I also have Dali’s Persistence of Memory in my living room. The next one I was thinking of getting was Francis Danby’s The Opening Of the Sixth Seal which I saw and loved when I was in Ireland, but that seems so much darker than the rest. (The one I saw was actually in color, but not really. It was mostly black, but I remember this one red line. Really powerful.) I don’t know.

So here is what I need. Idea of what prints to get next. I have all the empty rooms (though I’ll admit that my "office" room is going to have all my Star Wars posters in it - and I really don’t give a flying fudge if you think that’s kinda weird.) But that leaves LOTS of rooms in desperate need of attention. So I’m asking for assistance in what brilliance I should have on my walls.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    I should also probably mention that I'm not a Monet fan. Now that people are up in arms, really, how many water lillies does one need? Yawn.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Erinna said…

    I don't care for the water lilies either, but here is one of my absolute favorite paintings in the world...

    Creupuscolo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.