It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

9.8.04

"Former female employee"

When you read a case and they talk about a "former female employee," do they mean a former employee, or a former female? I personally think it's open to interpretation.

41. Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire; after saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save one item. What would it be?
I would be torn between my journals and my photo albums. They are in the same place... Maybe I should give an extra copy of my photos to someone else to avoid that decision. It would be a game time decision between the two - which ones would I instinctively grab?

42. How would you react if you were to learn that your made had had a lover of the same sex before you knew each other?
I would be supportive, tell him I understood, that I was ok with it. I would say all the right things. Then I’d obsess about it. Every time we were together, I’d have images. I’d imagine all sorts of things. I’d question his love for me. I’d wonder every time we walked by a hot guy that I was attracted to. I’d wonder every time he wore a light blue shirt. And ultimately, he’d end it with me because I just couldn’t let it go.

43. When were you last in a fight? What caused it and who won?
You mean a physical fight? I rightly don’t recall. I know when I was 13 I fought with a neighborhood kid because this girl - a friend of hers - was made at me, and got my ass kicked. And when I was about 12 fought with TWO neighborhood kids who had rocks and they used them, hitting my head and bringing me to tears. (As an adult, I ran into one of them when I was in my early 20s, and he was nice as could be.) I don’t recall fights as adults. My housemates in college and I got into a fist fight over the board game Trivial Pursuit, but it wasn’t one that anyone wins or loses. If you mean verbal fight, and you’re not counting Bitch Counsel (in my opinion, 3-0, since she lost her motion for sanctions, she lost her motion to compel other than what we offered, and I won my motion to amend the answer...though the only fight that counts is with the jury) and you’re not talking my sister and I, who fight on a regular basis b/c, well, we’re Greek, then it’s probably a friend from law school. A lot of things caused it, I accept responsibility for it, and I think we probably both lost.

Back to trial work. Sigh. I need a drink. (Suddenly, why lawyers have one of the highest rates of alcoholism hits her like a bat out of hell...)

3 Comments:

  • At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I still don't get that--the highest rate of alcoholism in the profession that has absolutely no time for happy hour :-( Does that mean lawyers just drink alone?

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Two weeks before a trial, we don't have time for happy hour EVERY DAY THIS WEEK, which is what some anonymous people want. If we want happy hour later this week - like say, Wednesday or those great Thursday bomb pops, then we can't play on Monday. In fact, there is a chance that on Tuesday, I'll be wearing Monday's clothes....

    But yes, lawyers drink a lot alone...

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Curtis said…

    School is just about to start again, which is making me want to start drinking just to be a little ahead of the curve. My family couldn't believe how I went from never drinking to drinking pretty regularly. The law.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.