It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

9.4.05

My first football game was today. It was great weather today - mid 60s. So I loved being outside. BUT...my football team is not very good. Actually, "not very good" is generous to how we play. We are awful. I think that the score was about 30-0. And it wasn't as close as the score indicates. Understand that I hate losing. I am not a good loser. It doesn't matter that this is a recreational league that doesn't really affect anything in my life. I hate losing. To add insult to injury, I threw an interception, which really steamed me. (The regular QB (a guy) threw 3 interceptions, so I don't really see me as the sole reason we lost. And I caught the passes that were thrown to me. But alas...didn't do much good.

But there was this girl on the other team who was built like a truck. I'm not judging, understand, but this is part of the story. Anyway, I'm covering her and she was obviously the intended receiver on the play b/c she was actively trying to get open, and so she (INTENTIONALLY) stepped on my foot in order to get open. Oh. My. God. It's touch football, I wasn't expecting to get injured!!

Tomorrow is going to be almost 70, but I have to go to the office and work. :( No. Fair. Then, I have a dinner for work at 6. It's one of those things where the firm buys a big table for a lot of money, and then says, "please fill the table associates!!" On.A.Sunday.Night. My day AWAY from work, now suddenly filled with work. These are the things that I didn't realize were part of my job when I started looking at firms. The dinners, the smoozing, the feigning interest to delevop business, aka stuff that I am NOT good at. Also on work related stuff, I hate it when people that I'm not friends with think that we are friends and force the issue. (And I hate not being able to rant about it properly, for fear that someone from work will discover this.)

I am not sure how I feel about the Revelations tv show that NBC keeps promoting. I've read Revelations - it's not a fun book of the Bible. Kinda scary and all. Plus, it's somewhat depressing. If I want to watch scary, depressing things, I'll catch a Browns game. Or, hell, and Indians game. Or, yes, a Cavs game (LeBron got another triple double today. So the Cavs managed to win for the 5th time in 15 games. Woo hoo.) (Speaking of train wrecks, umm...the Mets? Might become the first team out of it a week into the season...) And Carlos Silva of the Twins is going on the DL until likely at least the All-Star break (hey, around the time I start stalking Jody Gerut...You know, it occurs to me that if he ever Googles his name, he is SO getting a restraining order out against me.) Further proof that Selig is a moron. Asshole.

I had the worst dream last night that I wasn't able to go to the REM concert in Italy because I was called to donate bone marrow. I really hope that wasn't some sort of foreshadowing! They already cancelled in the concert in October that I had tickets to, that would be too cruel. Maybe I should temporarily take myself off the registry, just to make sure??

Wow. According to Jason, 40% of Americans Don't Know Which Party Controls Congress. You know, every time that I think that the avarage American can't be as dumb as I think that they are, they do something like this...Of course, we get 50% of the population voting as well.

I ran into an aunt early today at the grocery store. We are talking ("How's your grandparents? You mom? Gosh, I haven't seen them in three weeks. Is everything ok?") and she says to me, "Did you ever think about going to Greece?" Well, yes, I thought about it after I passed the bar exam. As a matter of fact, I actually did it then. "No, no, no. Not to visit. For work." Well, I guess my work doesn't take me to Greece that often. I work with US discrimination statutes. "No, I mean to find a Greek husband." Oh, god, shoot me. First, even if I was husband shopping, which I have to point out that I'm not, why on earth would I have to go to Greece to find one? That seems, a bit, excessive. And I'd only point out that my aunt isn't that much older than me. Maybe 15 years? Less than 20. I remember her wedding. Oh, and even better, she's not blood related to me. She married into our family. My uncle is related to me. And, (the best part) she's not even Greek. But whatever. I know, I know, I'm the big disappointment in the family. I'm the second oldest non-married and childess niece/grandchild/cousin. (And the oldest is my cousin in Afghanistan, who has an excuse. For now.) Do you think that if I were to have a child, they'd get off my back? (I can just see head spinning...that might totally be worth it. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm way too selfish for a child right now. But hey, at least I know my limitations, right?)

5 Comments:

  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said…

    I know somewhere you can get a child reaaaaaaaal cheap.

    :)

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Maybe you should have said, "That's why I'm here. I'm going to cruise the international food section and see who's buying tzatziki."

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm the oldest non-married. Just not..ready yet, although I am living with my girlfriend. Living in sin and all haha. Even my younger brother got married a year ago.

    At my aunt's funeral, my grandmother was talking to me at the "post-funeral everone eat in silence in the church basement" and asked me if I got to church. Now I can't tell my grandmother I'm an athiest so I just say no. She then proceeds to say "how are you go ing to meet a nice girl?"

    I wanted to say "that's what strip clubs are for" or "maybe I don't want to meet a nice girl" but that wouldn't have been appropriate...

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said…

    OK: The part about the expectations of the associates is WHY I GOT OUT OF LIFE AT THE FIRM. It's not going to stop. If you want to be partner you are going to have to learn to bring in new business, go to schmooze-fests, be charming, etc.
    Maybe you'll abandon ship like me!

    As for the football, I know exactly how you feel. I'm kind of a spaz at team sports but even things like and scrabble and boggle make me crazy. I often want to toss the board upside down when I start losing.

    Keep your head about you at work. Don't let it get to you!

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Jen, See "too selfish for a child now" comment. :)

    Eden, OMG, I wish I thought of that!!

    Jason, Relatives mean well, right? Right? But I agree; the strip club comment isn't a funeral comment, it's totally a

    Other Jen:) As soon as I get some of my debt down some, perhaps I will leave the firm. I haven't decided what I want in life. I never expected it to be a law firm. So I'm there getting the training while I decide. Glad to know that I'm not the only poor loser!! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.