It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

13.7.05

Have you ever seen Labyrinth? You know, the 80s movie with David Bowie wearing spandex? Anyway, the girl (Jennifer Connelly) goes into this whole long speech, and the line she always forgets is, "you have no power over me." Do you ever want to say that to someone? And then you think, "oh, but I'd be lying." Or is that just me??

Watching Bernard Goldberg getting irritated with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show is awesome. I'll admit, I'm not a Bernard Goldberg fan, but really, he seems put out at Jon's comments. Though I'll concede that Jon was harsher than usual. At one point Goldberg looked over his back and asked who those people are (the audience). Jon answered that they were people who behind him who, Jon, like the person in front of him, didn't quite understand what Goldberg was talking about (with respect to the culture being more crass while the murder rate was down, drug use amongst teens was down, so what was the correlation to the culture being more crass.) Jon basically told him that he has all these liberals on his book (100 People Who Are Screwing Up America) while there are counterparts on the right who is the same and who aren't included.

Jon criticized the book for so much emphasis on culture rather than government. He said that the people on the list were largely powerless. I may want to check out the book to see who made the book. (I also want to read yesterday's book, Spanking the Donkey.)

Oh. My point. Goldberg looked most upset when he was trying to show the power of works, and was talking about a bigot channel. Jon said that there was - and then he wouldn't name Fox (come one, you know that's where he was going) and instead said NBC (though they do get hit with the all white network) and Goldberg was like, "you little..." and trailed off. He was pissed. It was making me laugh.

So I have a black eye now. I'm not kidding. Luckily, it's not below the eye, it's the eyelid. Which I know from experience is more painful b/c it hurts every time that you blink, but it's also less noticable. I don't get it people. It's SOCCER. Soccer. Really, there is no way that the hospital would believe that I'm not getting beat at home now. I'm covered in bruises in my legs and arms, and now a black eyes. I haven't had a black eye since I was 16 years old. This is a whole fun thing for me. The best part, the guy who gave it to me, his comment? Not "sorry," but "I swing my arms when I kick." Gee, you think?? I totally didn't see that coming. At least when I was 16, I knew when the hits were coming and prepared for them - both physically and emotionally.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger EasyW said…

    You're a laywer, ain't ya?

    Sue him!

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    I was watching The Daily Show last night with great elation. It's about time someone (bless you, Jon Stewart) stood up and talked back to the likes of Goldberg. His (Goldberg's) way of looking at things really grates on me, and I'm glad Stewart put him in his place.

    Curiously, the segment about MILFs didn't air. It was shown as a preview right before The Daily Show started, and when Goldberg came out he mentioned (rather irritatedly) that he'd followed the segment, but from where I was watching, the show went from Jon's opening news monologue to the interview with Goldberg.

    Oh well.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Maybe Jon got inspired by the White House press corps, because he sure laid the smackdown on Goldberg. It was awesome. And Jon was totally thinking Fox News, too. He wouldn't be wrong.

    Did you see the little clip going into commercial after the interview? It was of the number 6 man on Bernie's list: Jimmy Carter, who was building houses. Yes, according to him, Nobel Peace Prize winning Jimmy Carter is the six most person screwing up this country.

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    It wasn't the getting hit, I'm used to that. It was the lack of apology!

    Matt, it was on mine??

    Sarah, I totally missed that. Carter was #6? Is he serious? For what? Now I REALLY need that book. That's it, tomorrow at 12.01 when I'm waiting for Harry Potter, I'm checking that book out!!

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger Dennis! said…

    I'm watching the Goldberg segment on repeat now. You're right, it's classic. Jon Stewart is genius.

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Dennis! I love it that my friends have the same taste as me. :)
    Sarah - caught the Jimmy Carter thing during the 11:30 rerun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.