It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

8.12.04

I see that Rumsfeld talked with troops about, inter alia, the stop-loss policy preventing those who have already fulfilled their committment to the country from getting out of the military. That is bullshit. And yes, I'm thinking selfishly with my cousin. When he returns (either July or next Dec.) his time is up. But can he get out?? This stop-loss policy is the government's way of saying that they don't have a draft. Bullshit. Someone signed an 8 year contract. They can't get out in year 3 just because they want to. Thus, the US can't keep them in year 9 just because it wants to. I can already hear Bush et al arguing national security or needs of America. I say then the draft has to be reinstated, so that everyone had to deal with it, not disproportionately on one group. That is forced manual labor. Slavery was abolished in 1865. I am very passionate about this argument (as opposed to my "general" passionate stance on life.) Anyway, doesn't sound like his little pep rally was as effective as he wanted it to me. Those soldiers DARING to question him and the US. Don't they know, you are either with us or you are with the enemy?? Geesh! (Please ignore the First Amendment in all of this. Since we are not allowed to speak out against the government, peaceably assemble to protest the government anywhere near anything, like at the rallies, and we aren't allowed to petition the Government for a redress of grievances (or else we are aiding terrorists or accused of being anti-American)...well, I haven't figured this out yet. I should pray for the answer, like Bush prays for our foreign policy answers.)

Next, I am a huge baseball fan. Wanna know what I think about the steroid thing. Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway. "NO! Barry Bonds is on steroids? No way! You mean other players may be on steroids too?! NO!" The "is Bond a cheater?" is bullshit - they ALL are "cheaters," if that's the measure. And if someone didn't realize that at least 75% of MLB was on steroids, they are stupid. Or blind. The owners knew it - it brings fans. The fans don't mind being lied to, as long as they can stay safe and cozy in their ignorance. (I feel like I should make a comment about Republicans here...) But comparisons to how unfair it is Ruth are faulty. First, Ruth doesn't give a damn. Second, Ruth played when no one took steroids. He was the best of the best. Bonds is playing when everyone (including him) is taking steroids. He too is the best of the best. Let's not pretend that he isn't on the same playing field as his contemporary peers. The game changed, but the best of that field is still the best.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Maxwell said…

    Hey you,

    It's not selfish to worry about your cousin. Don't even think it.

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Thanks. It is, in a way, but it's not for malicious reasons. If Rumsfeld went to Afghanistan (and then to the mountains where he is) to talk to his unit, I know my cousin would have all sorts of things to say to him. Starting with the questions that Rumsfeld was unable to answer yesterday (and seemed surprised to be asked).

    It's truly a sad day when the troops have to ask the questions that the media has let the Administration ignore.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.