It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

14.12.04

First, I spent a year in Northwest Pennsylvania. It was the first time (and actually, the only time in my life) that I haven't had to deal with "lake effect snow." For the longest time growing up, I had no idea that it could snow if it wasn't "lake effect snow." What amazes me is, the first snow of the year, everyone freaks out. It's like we forgot how to drive in the snow since March or April. Come ON people, work with me here! It should not take anyone 3 hours to drive home from work - generally half an hour. For no apparent reason. Bah, humbug. (And in case anyone is interested, on December 13, of 2003, there was a blizzard as well, because I was driving from Northwest PA at the time. Maybe it's December 13?? Maybe we should go from December 12 to the 14th. Not to say that I don't like winter. Wait...yes I am.

Second, I think that getting the number of beer in my fridge down from 150 to 37 is a great thing. It's enough that if people come, there are enough to be polite, and yet, there is still enough room for my six containers of orange juice. (I'm an orange juice snob. I will only drink Simply Orange.) his did not strike me at all odd - I like orange juice - until a friend made fun of me today. "I can see the value of one, maybe even two if it's on sale. But six?" (In my defense, technically, it's 5 1/2. One is opened.) But if I love my orange juice, and I have this fear or running out. So I essentially buy in bulk. What else is that top shelf in the fridge for? Just orange juice, right?

Finally, I've decided that I want to be on The Amazing Race. It appeals to the historian in me. They are in Africa and next they are going to the Berlin Wall. It's like a chance to explore the world for a months. The bad part -- you are on tv. And since you are going whirlwind, you don't get a chance to really experience it I guess. But still...I want to explore. Why is the job thing getting in my way?

3 Comments:

  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger p.p. said…

    Stephanie, I too want to be on "Amazing Race!" Seriously, I think I would kick ass.

    Did you see tonight's episode? My brother and I called each other at each commercial break. We laughed our asses off at the old couple and the soon-to-be divorced, yelling at my wife all the time, couple.

    Love that show.

     
  • At 3:21 AM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    I feel disappointed. I figured that people in your neck of the woods would know how to drive during the first snow of the season.

    In Los Angeles, it's the first rain of the season that trips us up...

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Maxwell said…

    The same thing happens here in WI at the first snow. Of course, even when half of WI has still forgotten how to really drive in snow, it's nothing like the chaos you get when it snows in the South. You know, the ten minute CNN loop of cars in ditches?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.