It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

22.2.05

So this is somewhat ironic after the lady in the wheelchair yelled at me for using the handicapped bathroom stall.

Tonight I ran to the mall to get a crown and dress for this weekend (more on that later) and I got a parking ticket for parking in a handicapped parking place. I was livid. Just livid. There was absolutely no sign marking the spot as handicapped. So what does a disgrunted attorney do?? Pulls out her camera phone and starts taking pictures of the lack of sign in front and the pavement (in Ohio, you can mark the pavement too) showing that because of the snow (since about 3 pm) you couldn't see the ground to see if anything was marked.

Then I went to the police station mad. And I mean, MAD. The officer who gave me the ticket first said, "look, it wasn't too bad, everyone else knew it was handicapped." And I'm really getting upset. Insisting that I can't see it. Showing him the pictures from my cell phone.

Then he said that he had to give tickets tot he car next to me and across from me. And now I'm even more convinced. The cars everywhere else other than where we were had signs! The four cars where they had just the pavement marked, THREE of them get tickets, and he insists that it's visible despite the snow, despite my pictures showing the contrary?

So now I'm raving. "There is no way I'm paying this ticket. I'm counsel for the city, and if I have to call they mayor, I'm not paying this ticket." So he says if I refuse to pay the ticket, he's getting the sargeant. Fine. Go ahead. Finally, the sargeant comes out. And I try again. I got this ticket. There is no sign. He says that the pavement is marked. I pull out my camera. "Where?" NOW it does some good, and he voided the ticket for me. (Perhaps because I said that I wouldn't pay for it and it wasn't worth fighting me over. Or because a clearly irrational woman was about to cry with frustration. Remember, I was told that I'm emotional during my review. And this extends to everything in life, not just work. Yeah...I'm an adult... Sigh. I know, this seems like the equivalent of a girl crying to get out of a ticket. But damnit, I did nothing wrong. I get a ticket I feel is undeserved, immediately go to the police station with pictures supporting my argument.

Now the shopping experience. First, I got a crown. Yay. That way I can be a princess. Well, not really with the dress that I got. It's not "princess-y" but more black tie-y. I can't figure out what a princess would wear anyway. I mean, Snow White wore rags.

First, I considered getting this dress just to see my friends' reaction. This dress was black with rindstones around the cut of the dress, and the front of the dress is cut more than six inches down the front. (Yes, I've got the chest to pull it off, even now.) But the downside -- the reason I don't wear such things is that I'm not comfortable at all in them. And just to see a reaction, I'd have to be uncomfortable all night. It was a tough decision. But I went with comfort and not shocking my friends. ;-) I ended up with a dress that was acceptable, but I don't love. So if I get a few hours sometime (right...) then I may go see if I can get another one.

I'm most excited about the crown though...

9 Comments:

  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger BarbaraMG said…

    I want to see the pictures! ;)
    http://seeking-serenity.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In Philly, I once got a ticket b/c the meter behind mine expired. My meter still had several minutes left on it when I got back to the car. I was really mad, but I didn't a camera, and of course the meter person had alread disappeared. Grrr.

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    I went to the laundromat one time, on a snowy day, and found what I thought was a primo parking spot right by the front door. It should be noted that I hadn't been going to this laundromat for very long, that there was a good amount of snow on the ground, and that there was no sign displayed for handicap parking.

    After parking in the spot, I got my stuff out of the car and went inside. The laundromat attendant was eyeing me rather squintily, which annoyed me but I tried to ignore it. After about 30 seconds, she yells (and I do mean yell), "You must think you're pretty special parking in the handi-cap spot?" I think my reaction was akin to, "Huh?" She continued, "Must get some kind of kick out of it, you son of a bitch!"

    By now, all eyes were on me, and any unintended remorse I might have had for unwittingly parking in an unlabeled-by-the-snow handi-capped parking spot had been evaporated by the "son of a bitch" remark. Of course, all I managed was a "I didn't know!", and promptly took my basket of clothes and left. Never went back.

    Just thought I'd share.

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Barbara, I wish I knew how to put pictures from my cell to the computer.

    Jennie, see, had the meter person been there, I can imagine what you'd be saying. I remember who was the swearer at work...

    Matthew, that is exactly what I mean!! No sign displaying it was handicapped, and if there were ground markings (both police insist there were) they were covered by the snow. Bloody bastards.

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    If your cell phone service is like my service, you can e-mail the pictures from your phone to an e-mail account. If you e-mail it to one of your accounts, you can then download it to your computer, then upload it to your blog (or, in my case, use the hello.com features for adding pictures to your blog).

    Anyway, good to see that cell phone camera technology can actually SAVE money.

    When I was dating the woman who became my wife, she was driving me home one night. Her heart was so aflutter over my many virtues (you can laugh now) that she ran a stop sign. Looking behind us, I said to her, "You were awfully brave to do that." That's when she noticed the police car nearby. When she was pulled over, she was so obviously upset and apologetic that she didn't get a ticket. To my knowledge, she hasn't run a stop sign since.

    As it turns out, my wife has been handicapped for the last few years, but her injury (CRPS, a/k/a RSD) is not visible to people. One morning, after we had parked in a handicapped space, a stranger walked up to me and said, "You shouldn't be parking there." I let him have it, quoting from her doctor's medical restrictions, until he left silently.

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "RINDstones"??? You mean like orange or lemon? Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Speaking of oranges and lemons, the radio station here had some "quiz" from an Italian sex researcher, Sexologist Piero Lorenzoni. (How do you get that title anyway??) It was to tell men about a women's personality by the shape of her breasts. Oranges and lemons are options.

    . . . A woman with LARGE, ROUND breasts. . . like a MELON. . . may appear motherly, but is actually FAR FROM IT. She's FRIGID. . . so you won't end up having much opportunity to play with her ample bosom. Quote: "She likes eating and wants to be spoiled and admired. But seldom likes sex."

    . . . A woman with PERT and PROMINENT breasts. . . like a LEMON. . . is usually LIVELY, but needs STABILITY. Quote: "These women are full of life and can laugh at themselves. They want a balanced life without surprises."

    . . . A woman with PERT, OVAL-SHAPED breasts. . . like a PINEAPPLE (???). . . is apparently every man's dream: Quote, "A woman with pineapple breasts is intelligent, often has a career, but is still romantic. They are also faithful. Whoever wins their heart will not lose it quickly."

    . . . A woman with PERT and FIRM breasts. . . like a GRAPEFRUIT. . . is not a good bet for an amazing time in bed. Quote: "This woman may look erotic, but in reality is bashful and homely. She spoils her partner but prefers tenderness over sex."

    . . . A woman with SMALLER, ROUNDED breasts. . . like an ORANGE. . . is a cold fish. . . just like her larger-sized, but also round-breasted, melon-shape sisters: Quote, "While she is self-confident and knows her goals, she has little interest in sex. She likes conversation and partnerships."

    . . . A woman with VERY SMALL breasts. . . that resemble CHERRIES. . . makes up for any perceived deficiencies by being a lot of fun. Quote: "They're funny and very exciting. They are entertaining and intelligent. [They] make great partners both for everyday life and on vacation, and are moderately interested in sex."

    . . . A woman with slightly BOTTOM-HEAVY breasts. . . that resemble PEARS. . . is actually your BEST BET in the sack. . . though you may be taking a risk by marrying her. Quote: "[She] loves love in all its variations. She can be very religious, but is known to have affairs."

    Hmm...rather long comment.

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Oh, from here.
    http://www.wmvx.com/bnj/

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Oh, from here.
    http://www.wmvx.com/bnj/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.