It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

12.3.05

I got one of those great Friday 4:45 pm walk-ins by a partner asking me to write a brief. To file on Monday. And since my Sunday was already filled, I am working on a Saturday night. Yes, the fun and exciting life of an attorney...

Greeks are a stubborn sort. And I mean that literally. In January of 2004, my cousin was given 3-6 months to live. It's now 14 months later. He was given 24 hours on Wednesday. He is still standing. He says that he wants to see his grandson graduate (in 2 years). The Greek man just may be stubborn enough to defy death...

My grandfather is really torn over this. My cousin is 9 years younger than he is. He says that he is supposed to die first, because he's older. Like life is somehow fair? My grandfather says that he's tired of living, but can't die until his wife and his sister's die. It's some Greek sense of obligation. Sometimes, I fear that those are the things that are getting dilluted as the generations go on. The sense of obligation to family. Can he somehow defy death as well? I don't know. But I wouldn't bet against him.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:11 AM, Blogger Dennis! said…

    Did you read "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides? One woman in that book -- Greek -- was also told she would die relatively soon. And yet she stubbornly stayed alive for years after that. Though I forget why. Okay, this comment didn't really contribute a thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.