It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

17.8.05

I hate giving blood. But as I've said on more than one occasion, I regularly do, b/c I have B- blood and I want to help and whatnot. But without fail, I have problems. Usually these problems are just bruises. Sometimes pretty significant bruises, but just bruises nonetheless.

However, today I went first thing in the morning. Thinking it would be quicker than it would be at lunch. The sad thing: it' likely was. The bad part, it STILL took an hour and a half. I'm not even joking. An hour and a half. You know me, I have the patience of a gnat. I was SO not amused. I think that's why the Red Cross has a blood shortage, NO ONE has that kind of time to waste.

So by the time it's over, I'm SO not interested in waiting to drink my apple juice and eat my cookies, you know? I just jet out of there and get to work. I am in the elevator, and notice that I appear to be bleeding. I get out of the elevator and sure enough, the bandage is all red. Weird, that's a new one.

I open the door, get a few stations away (admins all have desks/stations) and it occurs to me that blood is pouring down my arm, straight through the bandage. I pull the bandage off, and blood is pouring out of the hole in my arm.

I sit/fall down. (Blood is shooting out of me. Projectile bleeding. It was disgusting and distrubing. (And my first though: I hope I'm ok, I have soccer tonight!") The secretary gave me a bunch of napkins, which I put to my arm. There were probably 50 of them, and within a minute, they were soaked through. It was awful.

They called the Red Cross, who asked if I could come back down (ahh, no) and so they came up to me. Took their bloody time too. So for the rest of the day, concerned co-workers kept asking, "are you ok?" Word sure does travel fast...


Oh, and yesterday, I went to the Indians game. Kenny Rogers pitched. We were 4 ROWS behind home plate. Seriously, it was awesome. I could read the official gun that determines pitch speed. I was right on the aisle, so when I say right behind home plate, I literally mean that if they aimed for my head (but lower, you know) it's a strike.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Ok, 3 things:

    1) You're awesome for donating blood.

    2) This story almost made me faint! Hopefully you're ok now?

    3) Not being into baseball, whenever you mention Kenny Rogers, the first image is of the singer/gambler/chicken king Kenny Rogers. Just try having an image of that guy standing at the pitcher's mound in a baseball uniform.

    Yuck!

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Thanks Matthew.
    I'm actually pretty good. And the bruise isn't anywhere near as bad as I anticipated.
    Ahh, you know, I do love that song...he's the guy who threw the camera man to the ground. If you heard of that incident.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yikes. Needles scare the hell out of me and as much as I WANT to donate blood I just.... I freeze up even thinking about it. I feel so bad for it too but I HATE needles. I can't imagine how freaked out you must have been. Glad to hear you're okay now!

    I miss the rocking, Kenny Rogers (the singer not the baseball player. heh). The one that sang things like The Gambler and Just Checked In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In). I especially love that second song.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.