It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

6.3.06

I went to the Night Under the Stars at the Museum of Natural History Saturday night. It was really fun. It was really cool drinking wine under dinosaur bones. And the Planetarium was awesome. I haven't been there in years. We went to the 11.15 planetarium showing, and everyone was already the opposite of sober and making wisecracks. It was fun. The band was good, the alcohol was flowing, the people were nice. People were dressed in everything from tuxes to jeans. There was the guy with a cape. (It takes a rather strong man to wear a cape, no?)

My soccer team may have found a full sized field. 11 players (rather than 8) and a regular goal (rather than the lacross practice goals that we played with last year). It's through Mayfield Village, playing at Progressive Fields. That would be cool. It would make Stephanie extremely happy. Happy enough to talk in third person.

I went rock climbing yesterday. It's been a while since I last went (when I was still sick) and it was pretty hard. I have to say, I think I'd get better at rock climbing if I went more often than once every two weeks. Perhaps I'll go Wednesday for ladies night (not sure what ladies night entails, other than it's cheaper). Ultimately, I failed to make it up three walls, and I made it up two walls. That's a 40% success rate. Excellent... But the funny part, there was something in the paper, and I got about 5 text messages when I was 25 feet in the air. And I kept taking my phone outo f my pocket to read the messages. Luckily, you don't really use your arms that much for rock climbing. But doing the corner wall is STILL hard (that's one of the walls I made it up, but it was like losting at Twister at times. And I swear, there were times I was hanging just by being wedged into the corner. I had no hand grip on anything, and at least one of my legs wasn't anywhere either. Yikes. OH, and a ceiling wall is one that I failed at so that's impossible anyway. One day...)

Finally, the Oscars. First, let me say that I found George Clooney's speech the most annoying. He was extremely arrogant. ("What I love about Hollywood is that we talk about issues before anyone else will touch them.") Yes, you are all wonderful. Of course, you are amazingly shallow and superficial and live in a bubble and have no idea about the real world, but whatever. Second, let me say that I found it ironic that the same time that Clooney was talking about how brave Hollywood was, they were incredibly cowardly in refusing to give the Oscar to the movie about the gay cowboys...

7 Comments:

  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Erinna said…

    I generally liked Clooney's speech. I didn't think he came off as arrogant at all.

    I didn't see Brokeback Mountain, so I don't know if it "deserved" to win, but I did think Crash was very good. But in actuality, I think it probably had more to do with a widely split vote than a cowardly decision because of the gayness.

    Just my $.02. :)

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I actually liked Clooney's speech. He's gotten a lot of shit over the years for being liberal from people like O'Reilly, and he's never apologized for his views. I thought his speech was a political-but-not-completely way to extol the virtues of being progressive.

    Of course, I totally agree with the irony of his speech at the end. Fuckin' Crash and the Academy for picking, yet again, the preach and manipulative film. Brokeback is going to be a revered and moving people years from now. You should definitely read this article about how Hollywood played it safe. It sums it up perfectly.

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I bet you never thought I'd say this but ... I don't think that Brokeback Mountain was necessarily denied an Oscar b/c of homophobia. I haven't seen it, but the criticism I've heard is that you can't understand a word Mr. Ledger is saying, the movie randomly jumps around without maintaining any sense of consistency, and that the two leads had no chemistry whatsoever. And this was criticism from people in the LGBT community (not everyone - it seems people either love it or hate it).

    But, like I said, I haven't seen it. And, besides, what do I know?

    I'm impressed with you and the rock climbing.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't forget that the press was more focused on Reese Witherspoon's dress and hair than it was on her award. I don't think they asked any of the male winners about this.

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said…

    Who cares about Reese when Stephanie is happy?

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Kevin Whinnery said…

    Hey Stephanie,

    It's been a while since I replied to one of these, so I thought I would chime in - I personally thought Crash was a better movie than Brokeback in terms of presentation and narrative cohesion, but maybe that's just my own sense of aesthetics. Do you really think Brokeback lost because of homophobia? Maybe so, but being that I am well outside the circle of Hollywood Stonecutters I suppose I will never know.

    What's the word on the Tribe this year? They picked up Andy Marte from the Red Sox/Braves organization, and he is dope.

    And in case you care - I finally reposted a blog hosted on my own domain: http://www.kevinwhinnery.com/blog .

     
  • At 12:52 AM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    If third person references indicate happiness, Bob Dole must be ecstatic.

    I'm not a movie person - the last two movies I saw in a theater were Monster in Law and Ali - but I wasn't that inclined to see Good Night and Good Luck after hearing that it was somewhat one-dimensional. One biography by one of Murrow's boys (David Schoenbrun), while admiring Murrow, paints a slightly more balanced picture.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.