It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

12.2.06

Tonight on the way to soccer, I hit some snow, lost control of the car, overcompensated, really lost control of the car, did two 360s on the freeway, then hit the median and was facing the wrong way. I was so shook up. That was the first accident I think I've been in since I was a teenager - and I was't driving then. It doesn't look like there is too much damage to the car (what I could see in the dark) but when I drive faster than about 60 my car shakes, so my brother thinks I need a wheel alignment. Even when I got to soccer, I was still freaking out. I made my brother get off the field (I was late) because I was freaking out. I called him off the field and tell him I needed him b/c I was in a car accident and was freaked out. His response: "I just let a girl who was 4'11" score on me, I don't have that much sympathy for you." I *think* he was joking...

But the good news, we won our first soccer game! (1-2-1) The players, for the first time, weren't high school kids. They were adults. The goalie was older than us and so was one of their forwards; the rest of them were about our age. But they were really good. Excellent ball control. Excellent. They were Italian (as in from Italy Italian - they had the cutest accents when talking in English and often would break into Italian. It was a good, close game. Actually, they were better than us, we just won.) You explain it - we lose to high school kids in better shape but not better players, and beat a team much better than us.

Wednesday at the OAR concert, I swear, we were the oldest ones. It was actually entertaining. Until my knee gave out of me and I sat down in the ground. This guy fell on me and spilled his beer. And he was a big guy. Not cool. Not cool at all. (I think the two concerts this week did a real number on them. I had a hard time walking today. My right knee was in constant pain all day. It was on the side and I really was thinking that it was going to go out on me. That would, honestly, suck. I know it will happen sooner or later, but I'd rather it be later. But it was the most pain it's been in for several years. And I don't have my knee or ankle braces anymore b/c they were stolen from my bag in December when my car was broken into. It was the first time I really needed them today.)

Rent. Not only was Angel not that great, but Mimi was flat out awful. And by awful, I mean she was the worst Mimi I've ever seen (and I've seen Rent two dozen times). In fact, I am debating whether she is the worst broadway singer I've ever heard, and I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes. Seriously, she sang Out Tonight and not a single note was in key. It was painful for me. Every time she opened her mouth, I cringed.

Flogging Molly on Friday was great, naturally. Though I had to move out of the eye of the hurricane (i.e. the middle of the mosh pit) because I was bouncing around like a ball in a pinball machine. Usually I adore that, but it was a bit too much for me. So I went and stood towards the back of the mosh pit, so I just got a little bit of pushing and whatnot. I have all sorts of mystery bruises. I felt a bit bad b/c I was with two people who didn't know who FLogging Molly was. So the second opening act, this rock band, my friend asked me if this was Flogging Molly. I gave her an "are you kidding me?" look and yes (sarcastically, I thought) "yeah, it's Flogging Molly." I then said to my other friend with us, "they asked if this is Flogging Molly." She gave the same "are you kidding me?" gesture that I did but said nothing. My one friend asked us why there were only 5 people on stage if there were 7 people in the band. I tell her that there are two Flogging Molly tours. When they ended and no one left, my other friend asked why no one was leaving (it had been about 5 minutes). My other friend answers, "encore." At some point, we were just playing around. I was sure they knew we were pulling their legs.. Keep in mind that while they were playing, no one was singing along. Not that many people were even dancing. They definitely weren't celtic sounding. And they played about 40 minutes. But evidently they bought the entire thing. Oops.

As for The Male Intellect, the entire second act was new. I didn't like it as much. The first act was still hysterical. But the "truth" was pretty boring. He made a few political jokes, and I was sitting next to my friend who is conservative, so we had a good time with that, but otherwise, yeah, I preferred the first act.

Because I have an account on My Space, and I have more artists and bands as my friends that actual people, I get a lot of indie artists who writet to me and say, "you are a friend of so and so, I think you will like my music, I've been compared to them." But Sophie B. Hawkins sent me something. Wow, I've heard of her! :)

5 Comments:

  • At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    " I was with two people who didn't know who Flogging Molly was."

    Ahhhhhh I wish even more I had been able to make it up there to go with ya. Ah well, maybe next time. Sounds like it was a great show!

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just realized I didnt say a word about your accident! how rude of me. Glad you are okay, and hope your car is too. :( that had to have been so damn scary!

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger derek said…

    You know, the Sophie B. Hawkins song that was big when we first got to AC (and "On Bended Knee" by Boyz II Men) will always make me think of South/Schultz dining hall. One of those two songs always came on during lunch.

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger derek said…

    and...DAMN.

    A CAR ACCIDENT?!?!

    (hugs) I am glad you are ok.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Jason, yeah, the concert was great, and I'm ok (as is my car) but uit was scary.
    Derek, yup, I'm ok, thanks. Did you eat at South freshman year? I never did. Sophmore year I did almost every meal (b/c i lived in South) but I was generally a McKinley's girl. And they always had the Cranberries on there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.