It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

25.2.05

So last week (you know, when I was trapped in Cincinnati playing lawyer) the hotel gave us USA Today. Traveling is the only time I'll read that.

So I finally found the paper today. And I couldn't figure out why on earth I brought home the USA Today. But then I saw it:

Yep, life'll burst that self-esteem bubble.
"Kids born in the 70s and the 80s are now coming of age. The colorful ribbons and shiny trophies they earned just for participating made them feel special. But now, in college and in the workplace, observers are watching them crumble a bit at the first blush of criticism."

First, really, I'm coming of age? Great. I have to say, I feel like I'm going through a mid-life crisis. Except of course, 28 isn't midlife. But it's definitely a "what the hell am I doing as an adult" feeling.

Second, you mean my bowling pin trophy that I got when I was 7 that said, "High Score: 57" was insincere? (I think that was in two games, by the way, not one.)

Third, crumbling because of criticism reminds me a bit of my review a few weeks ago...Now was that crumbling because I was being criticized, or crumbling (if that's even the word to use) because it's in my personality to do so?? I mean, none of the comments surprised me in the slightest. So if my criticism is that I'm emotional and take things seriously, how am I not supposed to take that emotionally? I'm emotional by nature. I don't think I'm emotional by nature because I got a shiny trophy in soccer when my team came in third place. (I didn't like that much; the teams in first, second and third place got trophies...and there were four teams in the league.) And if kids born in the 70s and 80s managed to survive high school -- and then assumed that college would be the same?? What?? Are you kidding me?

Oh, Terri Schiavo's feeding tube is being kept in for three more weeks, per the Judge's order. Hmm...The right to die debate actually interests me. I think it will interest me more when my reply brief is due.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger Dern said…

    The Federal Government never seems to like any of Oregon's laws.

    Trying to think if I ever got any trophies just for it....no wait that more accurately describes my little brother's generation, their off by a decade..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.