It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

24.4.05

I need to have things going on in the background while working. Today I found The Empire Strikes Back on tv. Yoda on my television; I'm so happy right now. (Empire is the Yoda movie.) :) "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future." Yoda is my favorite philosopher. He even beats Plato. And the mystery, when ObiWan said that Luke was their last hope, and Yoda cryptically said, "No, there is another..." (Of course, I've always wondered about this: wouldn't ObiWan know about Leia?) (Does anyone else find Lule whiney in The Empire Strikes Back? He doesn't have the innocence the same way that he did in Star Wars, and he isn't the cool and collected Jedi in Return of the Jedi.)

So my football game was cancelled yesterday. Of course, *I* didn't know this, and drove all the way out there. Oh, well, it gave me time to listen to WTAM's discussion on the NFL draft, and to spend the day with my grandparents then. Best news of this weather: today, I don't have to mow my lawn. Something about a few inches of snow covering the ground. If course, my grass is really long, but that's ok. I can't be expected to cut grass under the snow. Right?

So I was disappointed that the Browns took a safety in the second round. Mainly b/c I wanted a kicker. Or a specific kicker. I've been praying to the church of Nugent so long, that I just wanted to keep on doing that. :( So does anyone else thing that Rodgers is gonna use yesterday's draft as motivation? As a big fuck you to a bunch of teams who let him slide to 24? Not that it's easy to replace Farve (impossible, I'd say), but at the same time, I wouldn't discount intensity and motivation, a chip on his shoulder. Clarett. I hope he fails. I know, I know, let it go, and because of him you won a national championshio, but I really don't like him.

And I think this was America's way of saying that they don't WANT to see any more of Ashton Kutcher, whether in a movie or his underwear. Thanksfully. Yes, I don't understand the appeal of Mr. Ashton Kutcher. I tried; I just don't get it.

And on other topics, what the hell is up with Poison's Brett Michaels singing country now?? Here's a secret. I was a skater chick when I was young. (OK, that part wasn't a secret.) I listened to alternative before it was alternative, wore flannel before it was cool, still have Converse that I wore in high school (the junior high Converse had to be thrown out) and wistfully recall my Vans. In my crew, the guys had longer hair than the girls. I had friends who were "vegans" and I never even knew what it was, other than they were the ones pushing uys to protest against cosmetic companies for animal testing. My music tastes, other than staples like REM (duh), The Cure, The Ramones, and Radiohead, extended to bands with names like The Dead Milkmen. (I still get happy whenever I hear "If you love somebody why not set them on fire..." which may explain my pyromaniac tendencies, but I digress.) College radio was a godsend. Black was a staple. This was all pre-Nirvana, so the rest of the world had no idea as to the wonderful life as a skater chick.

But always (the secret part), there was a part of me that adored the long hair 80s rock bands, especially when singing their ballods. This was something I kept secret from all my friends, as "punk" and Poison didn't exactly mesh well together. So it was a secret obsession. And once I got older (read: college) that love could be public. So everytime Every Rose Has It's Thorn or "When the Children Cry" or "Winds of Change" or any of the other songs by Guns n Roses, White Snake, etc comes on the radio, I can sing along. (Suprisingly, you don't hear I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die on the radio that often. But again, I digress.) Anyway, the fact that Poison's lead man is going country just feels like abandonment to me.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Apart from the Hoth battle, Empire is my probably my least favorite of the original trilogy (it used to be A New Hope, but I've since developed a fondness for it).

    As for Ashton Kutcher, anytime he wants to be in his underwear is fine with me. But he needs to keep his mouth shut. When he opens it, all sexiness is lost. What a doof!

    Actually, I'm a little sad that his movie didn't open at # 1, because he said last week that if it did, he'd do another Calvin Klein underwear ad.

    *sigh*

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I understand why Luke is so inncocent in SW4. I understand his cool confidence in SW6. I don't get his whiny petulance in SW5. I think it's supposed to be showing his impatience and lack of confidence (perhaps he's supposed to be like a teenager?), so that we're not surprised his old man became "the biggest baddest brother in the galaxy."* At least there's no "but I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some new power converters" kind of whiny.

    You should read the Ebert review of that AK movie. I think he gave it half a star. No one needs to see it when you can just read that.

    * "What's a Nubian?"

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    I am glad that we all agree that Empire that Luke is a punk in Empire. :)

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger EasyW said…

    The Dead Milkmen were a lot of fun. There were others from that era, equally as stupid - Stormtroopers of Death chief among them, but also the Beat Farmers and the Vandals. And some that brought a bit more to the table - Motorhead, Too Much Joy, the Younf Fresh Fellows (one of whom now tours with said sons from Athens, GA) , even the Replacements... A lot of folks forget that in the pre-Nirvana days, it wasn't easy to find good music. You really had to look hard, and found it in unlikely places like San Pedro, Minneapolis, and Madison.

    I worked at WKNR briefly back in the mid-90s, producing the morning drive show with alleged thief Mike Wolfe. I've had a lot of shitty jobs in my life, including stints at UPS, a dry cleaner, and as a janitor in a grade school. But producing the morning show and being surrounded like clueless B list pricks like Wolfe and Jim Glass was far and away the worst. One thing I will say, most of the other on air talent, guys like Brinda, Sindelar, and a few others (and Ron Glassknap, who was a lowly producer like me at the time) were great, and total pros.

    I ran back to Chicago as fast I could.

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    I never considered Guns N Roses a hair band. At the time I considered them a return to rock, freeing radio from songs such as "Talk Dirty to Me." In retrospect, they can be seen as a transition between hair bands and grunge, a band who failed to live up to their promise.

    Actually, I'm more fascinated by Billy Idol. I own "Whiplash Smile" on CD and find it fascinating. Idol's supposed to be a punker, but no drummer is credited on the album (just "programming"), and the songs veer between metal, disco, fake folk ("Sweet Sixteen" is STILL one of my favorite songs), and moody introspection.

    But I digress.

    I was a deejay at my college's 10 watt radio station in the early 1980s and had a blast playing various styles of music, and throwing one style next to another. I'd open with Hawaiian steel guitar before playing Wall of Voodoo, Eno, and other staples of the day, mixed in with 33 RPM Tears for Fears and Jimi Hendrix songs played at 45 RPM. Those were the days, my friend...

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Easyw - I LOVE If You Love Somebody Why Not Set Them On Fire.
    Ontario - Sure they were. All the hair bands were rock. Warrant, Poison, Guns and Roses. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.