It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

18.4.05

I totally want to live on Dork Street. How friggin' cool is that?

So my lawn. I tackled it yesterday. Bought gas to put in the mower. Managed to get it started on the first (well, second) try. (What I recently learned was, I'd try it once, not get it, press the button a few more times, and ultimately flood it. So we are trying not to flood it. My biggest problem was that it had rained a bit, so the grass was wet, and then the bag filled up much more quickly than usual (I have gone my entire front yard and then changed the bag - this time I had to change the bag three times with the front yard.) So a few times, the grass would literally spit up at me because the bag was full (how am I supposed to know that to stop the regurgitation?) But here's what I decided. No more barefeet. First, I got a few splinters - the backyard is full of tree branches, which wasn't a problem last summer. Second, I got lots of thorn prickers in my feet and those HURT. Evidentally, my evergreen sheds them?? Who knew? Third, and most disturbingly, my feet seem to be permanently stained green. Didn't come out yesterday or today. Should I use soap other than Zest? ('Cause you're not fully clean unless you're Zest fully clean.) This is quite disturbing...I'm taking on a Yoda-ish hue.

OH! And the lawn nazi, who paid people to cut his grass last year, appears to be cutting the grass on his own this year. He bought a lawn mower (the same one that I bought, actually) and was cutting his grass on Sunday. I wonder what's up with that??? As I was cutting my grass, he walked over and said, "yeah, I thought, "we really need to get our lawns in order." Umm...I just want to cut my lawn. If there is more order to that, I don't care about that. I'm a simple girl.


I've been listening to the radio - which I almost never do - since 8:00 am this morning. It's 11:48 right now (not sure when I'll get around to publishing, but right now it is) and it's the second time I've heard Since You've Been Gone by the American Idol Kelly girl. Umm...irritation. THIS is why I never listen to the radio.

And looks like the Republicans play to go ahead with the filibuster fight. Again, 10 total blocked judges, compared to 64 under Clinton. (Don't worry - I'm not going to go into all that again.) And to argue that "judicial filibusters are being used "against people of faith," I'd only remind the Republicans that the government is actually supposed to be separate from faith. (That's kinda personal. Faith, I mean.) So to say that religious judges who plan to impose their religion in their decisions have a right to serve as a federal judge ignores the First Amendment. But what do I know - I forget that the Second Amendment is somehow more important than the First Amendment. (Maybe it's the First (When Convenient) Idea, and the Second (No Exception) Untimatum?)

So with them Cardinals voting on a Pope, it occurred to me. One of the leading candidates was black. (Cardinal Francis Arinze, 72). I just wonder whether the world is all ready for a black Pope. Has there ever been a black pope before? (Other leading candidates are Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany (he's 78, how long could his tenture be?), Cardnal Jorge Bergoglio, 68; Cardinal Godfroed Dammeels, 71; Cardinal Ivan Sias, 68 (who is Indian); Cardinal Claudio Hummes, 70; Cardinal Walter Kasper, 71; Cardinal Noberto Carrera, 62 (Mexican); Cardinan Camillo Ruini, 73; Cardinal Christoph Schonborn, 60; and Cardinal Dionigo Tettamanzi, 70.) On an offnote, they say that Cardinal Schonborn has almost no chance b/c he's only 60...but if PJPII was '84 when he died, and if he's been Pope since '78, well, he was younger, no (my math is bad.) If not, it's close.

And trivia: what was Pope John Paul II's name before he became Pope? Cardinal Karol Wojtyla. See, don't you feel better for having known that?

I think there should be Vegas betting: Who will become Pope? What name will he choose? (John Paul III is too easy, no? Gotta pick something else.)

8 Comments:

  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Jim Eastman said…

    On the mowing lawn barefoot thing: it's also a safety hazard to mow the lawn barefoot, I've known people who've lost toes slipping on the lawn and sliding into the mower. For the sake of your toes, wear shoes.

    On the radio thing, this is why Cleveland has great, left-end-of-the-dial stations like WRUW. OK, I'll stop shilling now. :-)

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dork Street? Oh my. I... I must live on dork street! we could get lots of dorks to live on dork street and have huge dork parties and a dork street wi-fi and ... and ...

    oops. there I go all dork-rambling. :)

    As for popes, Cardinal Arinze is a pretty old-school conservative (anti-birth control & contraceptives which seems to me to be exactly the opposite of what Africa needs) and the German, Ratzinger, is really conservative too as well as rumors abotu him having been a NAzi Youth during WWII (will try to dig up a link if you want)

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The betting on the next pope is at paddypower.com. Click on Novelties in the menu and it should be listed there. (Tried postign the direct link but I think Blogger thinks it is spam)

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I would be your neighbor on Geek Lane. Anyway, I would use something exfolliating on the feet. Bath & Body Works sells a foot exfolliating product that has sand in it and coconut oil. It's like being at the beach!

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Jim and Steppie - don't scare me with the toes stuff! I love the feel of walking barefoot!!

    Jasonb and Eden - Yay! I'd have neighbors!!

    Jasonb and Steppie, really? Gambling? Ok, I was more joking!!

     
  • At 1:44 AM, Blogger Dern said…

    I'm in agreement here with the shoes club. (of course I'm being hypocritical....I've been known as a little kid to mow the lawn barefoot.....and to come back in with green feet).

    Dork Street....man makes me want to move to southern California. (still can't get over the idea...it was named for "someone named Dork")

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger p.p. said…

    "Since U Been Gone" is an awesome song. Shame on you. Do you not read my blog? ;)

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    Again, shoes, lawn mower has blades, bla bla bla.

    A Los Angeles radio station had a feature story on Dork Street this morning. The residents learn to live with the jokes (they've heard them all before), and one woman has posted a sign saying "I live in a dorky house." Too bad that they can't find the original dork of Pico Rivera.

    Incidentally, Pico Rivera is probably about 10 miles max from Los Angeles, yet it does have those pockets of roosters and the like. When I drive through the south side of Ontario on some mornings, I can hear the roosters there also (and that's BEFORE getting to the agricultural preserve).

    By the way, I think the world is probably ready for a black Pope. Whether the NORTHERN part of the world is ready for a black Pope is another question entirely. He may not get a comic book.

    Even from my red perspective, I grant that the Second Amendment explicitly mentions "a well-regulated militia." Of course in the context of the time, militias were controlled by the people, not the government - but this implies to me that gun owners should register with the NRA, and fall under the command of NRA leaders when the country is under attack - none of this "I control my own gun" stuff. (I'm imagining a NRA member getting a call from the local saying, "There's been a gang shooting in South Central. All NRA members are required to report to South Central IMMEDIATELY....No, we won't make up the work pay you'll lose. This is a Constitutional Second Amendment REQUIREMENT."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.