It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

14.4.05

So my best friend told me last night that I'm unlovable and that I won't be married by the time I'm 54. Then she was going to toss me out with the trash. Merely because I said that I'd write off a guy who voted for Bush.


I was talking to a friend at dinner last night about whether third parties could ever be a viable option. I said yes; he argued no. My argument was that the moderates have the numbers to make a competitive third party. The conservatives neocons in charge of the Republicans are currently so far right, and the liberals are somewhat left. (It's not too left for me, but it is to the average moderate voter, or so I've been told.) But there are moderate conservatives and moderate liberals, and if they fragmented from their respective parties, they would be a strong third party - the party of moderates. Not sure what the get called. The Democrans? The Republicrats? Can't you just see the negative campaigning? But I digress.

But, I can see his point (who ever said I wasn't open minded...oh, wait, that was me), that the moderates would lack the necessary financial support. They wouldn't get all the big business money that the neocons get, or the moderate amount of big business money, but more important the millions of far left desperate for a change donors that the liberal liberals get. They lack the ability to get people to care enough to finance them, they aren't all about one side or other other to get the support of the respective businesses, even though they represent the interests of the majority of the people.

Then, ironically last night, Jon Stewart pointed out that the centers don't care as much as the crazies. I'd actually agree with that - on both sides. (I concede that I'd be defined as one of the crazies.) But moderates, almost by definition, don't care about most things. They don't have passion on the issues.


So Ohio wants to put "under God" on license plates. And even scarier - right now a poll shows that 80% of the people would pay the extra $10 to get this license plate. And people wonder why we suffer from road rage. It's not being cut off or passed or tailgated. It's being forced to deal with crazies with their conservative and hypocritical bumper stickers and license plates.


Some other random news. A radio host was fired for daring to ask the question - Did the Pope go to Heaven?? Hmmm...I've heard worse on the radio. We are out of control right now. Need more proof? A high school freshman was suspended for wearing makeup - namely lipstick and eye makeup. It's part of his Wiccan beliefs. And since girls are allowed to wear makeup, and this is America, he's suing.


And for the person who Googled me requesting, "Is the World really going to end or is this a lie?" I promise you, one day your world will end. The world will likely continue to go on. Really, do people think that they are going to find those answers on the internet? Some Doomsday group out in California said that yesterday was going to be the end of the world. It's just a poorly conceived hypothesis. Like gravity.


Finally, I don't think I've mentioned this year, but Connie Schultz, who I have mentioned several times, won the Pulitzer Prize for commentary this year. You can read the ten award winning articles here. I've said it countless times before, and I'll say it again...she is brilliant. (Online, they used to only have a 30 day archive, and they now have a 180-day archive.)

7 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Jeff Hess said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Jeff Hess said…

    Shalom Stephanie,

    Remember, Abraham Lincoln's Republican Party was a third party.

    B'shalom,

    Jeff

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wouldn't date a girl who voted for Bush which makes me very unlovable in Texas.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    Thank you for your support, Caren and Curtis.

    Jeff, That is true, but there is something inherently different now than back then, no? Just the money part of it alone makes it different stakes. I am not sure we can compare what could and did happen in the past with what could and may happen now. Can we?

    Alli, Ahh...but that's exactly how I quoted you back to you the other night. :) And when you said that quote, did I not immediately say, "why am I unmarried when I'm 54? Am I unlovable?!" And then, if you recall, you recycled me!

    And I'd only point out that my reasons are valid ones.


    Hello! Of course I was a hot, hip, rocking 54 year old! What else COULD I be? :)

    But alas, I do have the *best* best friend ever.

    Jason...realist!!

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Wait... Stephanie... you're 54?

    I thought you were in your 20s?

     
  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I've often said I could date someone of any race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. My only criteria of the Undateable are (1) UF grad/fan and/or (2) Republican.

    The UF thing speaks for itself. The Republican thing breaks down like this: this person would have to be fundamentally opposed to many thinsg I hold dear. I would want someone I could talk with, not someone to argue with me constantly.

    You're free to reject anyone you like b/c of any reason you like. I don't get this whole "give 'em a chance" thing. If someone chooses to be part of a political party or church or cult or whatever, they should be ready to be prejudged based on that alignment.

    Don't settle ;)

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Jason, you really were into those quizzes.

    tadvent, uhh..no.

    Eden, I completely agree.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.