It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

21.4.05

I paid the $15 for the MLB Radio broadcast of all games. So I’ll listen to games in the afternoon. I gotta say this, for those of you outside of Cleveland - I’m really sorry. Your announcers suck. And this isn’t just because Tom Hamilton rocks, you announcers really suck. Though the Cardinal’s announcer, "There she goes!" for a HR was kinda fun. Not like, "A swing and a drive..." but fun.

Today, I mentioned to someone that my cousin was in Afghanistan. This person - a college educated, intelligent person - said, "now? Why is he in Afghanistan?" I said he was in the military. He says (rather condescendingly, I might add), "Oh, you mean Iraq." Umm...no, I don’t. But thank you for showing me that I need not waste any more time or energy on you. You’ve been a big help.

Dumb move of the day (so far): Was eating a life saver. Put it on my tongue ring to have fun. Got stuck on my tongue ring. Had to wait a few minutes while it disintegrated (I think I could have pulled it off my tongue ring, but a quick test showed that my tongue moved too.) Mental note: don’t ever take LifeSavers on a day you have to go to court...

My soccer game was cancelled last night. No fair. I was all ready. Sometimes about the hazards of playing in thunder and lightening? I don’t know, it seems perfectly safe to me. I mean, I’d be wearing shin guards. And according to Jim, it’s gonna SNOW this weekend. (Actually, this isn’t according to Jim. It’s according to the weather man. It was just the first time I heard that.) I can’t be that upset - it’s April. This has been a fantastic April. Yes, we have all that snow on the 2nd and 3rd, but it was melted by the 4th, and it’s been fantastic since then, until today. Sunny. (I seriously thing we just have our average number of sunny days per year in the month of April) and warm. But still. Snow. (I’d only point out that when we got that huge snowfall at the beginning of the month, my friend said, "at least it’s the last snowfall of the year" and I said, "no, we are good for one more." I love being right.)

Some news:
Connecticut approved same-sex civil unions. Oh, I do so love it when Republicans get that little vein on their forehead ready to burst. The funny thing is, they push for states’ rights, but the moment that a state does something they don’t like, they start howling about it? So how long will be before they start to rediscuss the constitutional amendment?

Still, Texas is doing good by them. "It is our responsibility to make sure that we protect our most vulnerable children, and I don't think we are doing that if we allow a foster parent that is homosexual or bisexual," said Republican Rep. Robert Talton, who introduced the amendment. Arkansas has a similar law, but it was struck down as unconstitutional. (So naturally, it becomes something to copy.)

And oh, God, save us. Rice for President? Nyet Nyet Nyet!! (And why would that little girl want to be like Rice??)

And his faulty English? Give me a break.

And how much of my tax dollars went for this study? Let me help - I don’t care why the a few popcorn kernels don’t pop.

Finally, you smell that in the air? It’s the smell of Republicans trying to push their nuclear option through. Over Priscilla Owens and Janice Rogers Brown, two of the ten nominees that Democrats have blocked. This is not going to be a pretty fight, and I fear that the Republicans have the votes to do so. The interesting thing will be the long term effects. When the Democrats retake control of the Senate (and the ultimately will; politics is cyclical), the Republicans will be injured by their own rules. Long term, it’s disastrous for themselves. Short term its disastrous for the Democrats, And overall, it’s disastrous for the country.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said…

    My new gripe is with the so-called bankruptcy reform act. I am now inundated with debtors who want to file before the act is in place. I hate this administration. I can't believe how much they don't care about the disenfranchised.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Oh, I'm not a fan of the bankruptcy reform act either!! It punishes the poor more than the wealthy who declare bankruptcy and then get to keep million dollar homes.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    Someone who can't tell Afghanistan from Iraq? Now we know why Kerry lost.

    And even though I'm "on strike" against Major League Baseball (ever since Fox dumped Bill Russell, Mike Piazza, and Hideo Nomo within one month, and ever since Rita Moreno of Arte renamed the Anaheim Angels), you have to admit that Vin Scully and Rick Monday are better than the average announcers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.