It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

3.5.05

I'm hurt. I scrunched myself in the revolving door.

There is no way to make that statement without sounding like a total idiot, is there?

Here's what happened. I was walking to work. (I had been interviewing witnesses this morning. So my mind was dazed.) Anyway, the revolving door was moving slowly, and I thought, "I can make that" so I tried getting in as it was moving etc. Well, I got half in and it closed and I wasn't fully in so I was scrunched. I can't really explain what happened any more clearly than that, and I'm sure you've never seen anyone else do that before, but needless to say that both my shoulders were scrunched in the door, with the wall on the right side and the revolving-ness on the left side. And I was stuck and I tried to step back but that didn't work b/c I was wedged in the door. So I dropped my bag and then step back and was able to get out of the door. BUT (no, this story isn't over) my bag was then in the revolving door but I wasn't any longer, and it was already pushed through (and the door only moves one way) and I couldn't get to it. So I had to push the door from the outside and wait as the door pushed my bag around in a circle until it got to me. Meanwhile, the security guard was staring at me. I think he thinks that I just might be mentally challenged.

You know what? He might be right.


Another quiz for me! Via Ali:




Your Taste in Music:


80's Alternative: Highest Influence
90's Alternative: High Influence
Adult Alternative: High Influence
Hair Bands: High Influence
80's Pop: Medium Influence
90's Pop: Medium Influence
90's Rock: Medium Influence
Country: Medium Influence
Punk: Medium Influence
80's Rock: Low Influence
Classic Rock: Low Influence
Progressive Rock: Low Influence
Ska: Low Influence



A few thoughts. The alternative junk doesn't surprise me. But what the hell is Ska?? I'd have thought that 80s rock would have been higher. And progressive rock. Though I notice that Ali had some that I just don't have - guess that means that I have no influence?

12 Comments:

  • At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What the hell is ska?

    Ohhh dear. My vision of you has been shattered now. ;)

    My best description (and it will be blasted by a better ska fan than myself I am sure) is to take punk, jazz and a dash of reggae and throw them in the blender. To familiarize yourself with ska try the following that are among my favorites:

    *The Toasters
    *The Specials
    *Reel Big Fish (their earlier stuff)
    *The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    *The Slackers

    There's a ton more, and I'm sure a bigger ska afficionado (I had a big phase in college) could list even more starters, but those are my favorites.

    Actually, if you have The Clash's "London Calling" just listen to "Rudie Can't Fail". That's pretty much a ska song.

    If you are interested, I might be able to ummm make available.. some mp3s. You know, to borrow. ;)

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    OMG, SO FUNNY!!

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger BarbaraMG said…

    LOL I love hearing posts like this because I do things like that on a daily basis.

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    estarz:
    That's an interesting definition. It applies more to first wave ska than second and third wave ska from the 70's through 90's. Any of the ska bands listed on that quiz were second and third wave.

    The later waves of ska were defintiely more rock and punk influenced than the first wave (that you defined above)

    It's HARDLY rap. If you weren't being sarcastic and really think it sounds like it might be rap, pick up a Toasters CD (my fave of the favorites) and check it out. you might be surprised what it actually is

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Jasonb - I had a vision? :) I enjoy punk. I can get into a jazz mood. Not a huge reggae fan. I do like the The Mighty Mighty Bosstones though. And I thought that The Toasters were more alternative?? If I could borrow some, I wouldn't protest at learning new bands...
    Melissa, But I'm sore!!
    Barbara, And here I thought I was the only one that dumb.
    Estarz, that doesn't sound like something I'd like though! TO even has a slight influence??

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I think The Clash, The Police and other bands branching from punk to new wave were more flat-out reggae than specifically ska. I don't care much for ska (No Doubt springs to mind as a ska band) but I don't mind reggae (Bob Marley, the aforementioned reggae-influenced punk bands) in small doses.

    What frightens me is the high influence factor of hair bands on your chart. Who ya like? Bon Jovi? Warrant? Winger?? ;)

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Snowbear said…

    Time Travel.... awesome venue for a creative mind!

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Dennis! said…

    Stories like this validate for me the fact that I'm not the only one who makes a fool of himself in public on a semi-regular basis and still lives to tell about it.

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    My beef is with the security guard. He/she just stood there and didn't help you get your bag? :(

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    I don't mean to laugh at your expense, Stephanie, but the revolving door story had me cracking up. :-)

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    Eden, I LOVE Bon Jovi!!!!

    Ontario, the security guard was standing at his post. He has to watch the people coming in the front door from outside (I'm an internal revolving door.) On the way home, I used the regular door...

    Matthew, at least I can laugh at myself, right??

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    And how ironic is it that one of the posts with the most comments is one where I mad an idiot of myself?? :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.