It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

31.5.05

Props to Cleveland from the New York Times:
THE Cleveland of ''American Splendor,'' the 2003 Oscar-nominated movie, is a
dreary 1980's town of thrift stores and shambling eccentrics, a place where
you'd barely care to spend two hours, let alone a weekend. Today, Cleveland
hardly feels like the same place. In the 1990's, public-private enterprise
replaced center-city blight with new sports stadiums and the lakefront Rock and
Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. Meanwhile, downtown's revival spurred
gentrification into forgotten enclaves along the Cuyahoga River. There's a
thriving art scene in Tremont, and the retooled Warehouse District has become a
place to be, rather than flee, after dark. Clevelanders remain, by nature, a
self-deprecating lot. But before long, calling their town hip, cosmopolitan --
even splendid -- won't sound so ironic.

The reporter went church hunting, explored Tremont and the West Side Market, the Great Lakes Brewing Co (hey, I was there on Saturday), Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, West 6th, and the museums at University Circle (by me!). I could have recommended a few more places, but ok.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    That is the awesome section of Cleveland. Where I was Saturday was filled with Very Snooty People. Our next trip will be to the R&RHoF and not Entitlement Village, that's for sure ;)

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger EasyW said…

    CLeveland is a nice place to visit, but I could never live there. I tried and failed at that in 1994. Its just too small for me - no place to get a good authentic burrito as big as yer head at 6 am on Christmas morning. In Chicago, I have nearly a dozen choices.

    I like the William Mather - its a very interesting museum. The Ohio City Area near the West Side Market and the aforementioned Great Lakes Brewery seemed pretty cool. And my all time favorite restaurant - Aladdins in Lakewood!

    And Ohio girls are really cute. Like Katie Holmes.

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Hmmm.

    Funny thing is, I kind of liked the Cleveland of "American Splendor."

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Ali, actually, THE place to go isn't the flats anymore (despite the fact that I'm going there soon for HH outside on the river), it's the Warehouse District.

    Eden, where did you go?

    Easy, I didn't like living in NYC (I hated public transportation.) I like having some grass and whatnot. But I agree with the lack of great Mexican restaurants. But there are great things you can't get elsewhere. The cute bartender alst night also bartended at Great Lakes. Katie Holmes is sketchy cause she's with Tom Cruise though. And gonna turn from Catholic girl to that freaky scientology thing.

    Matthew, but the Cleveland of American Spendor is a depressed economy. It's not good for the city.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger EasyW said…

    Couldn't agree more on the Holmes-Cruise Scientology thing. VERY creepy indeed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.