It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

19.5.05

So I saw Star Wars last night (this morning?) I will say a few (non-spoiler) things.

First, unlike the first two movies, I liked this one. Thankfully. I would have been upset if I hadn't, because this is THE movie. It's finally not filler to introduce characters and get to this battle.

And again, unlike the first two, I actually cared about the characters. Anikan wasn't irriting in being whiny like he was in the second one. (Anikan in the second one, Luke in the fifth one. What IS it with Lucas??) Though I admit that I was literally pained every time that Anikan and Padme had scenes together. Juding by the sounds in the (sold out) theatre, I wasn't the only one. (That is when Lucas's inability to write really shines...)

I was worried for Yoda (which, I know, is silly.) Truthfully, I was really sad most of the movie. Even knowing how it ends up, or maybe because you know how it ends up, you desperately wanted Anikan to make different decisions. You saw him being manipulated, you saw and understood his motivation, you knew what he became by Star Wars...and you still half hoped that he wouldn't do what you already knew he did. Though I found it ironic that the same motivation that led to his manipulation destroyed the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. (OK, that's as close as I'll get to a spoiler, I promise!)

The two lightsaber scenes at the end flat out rocked. You knew from Star Wars that a great fight between Anikan and Obi Wan occurred on the lava planet (ok, and the lava was slightly overdone) but it was awesome. And I was a fan of the camera work between the two; one of the guys in my group was not.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Dennis! said…

    Just a little off topic, but you know what I like? That Diet Pepsi commercial with Yoda in it. I usually hate this whole co-branding thing where the one popular phenomenon is overkilled, but this Diet Pepsi commercial is hysterical!

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    So how long is Obi-Wan naked?

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    It exceeded my expectations (although I still don't think it quite reached the heights of the original trilogy.

    It was good that they featured the Tantive IV, as that provided a bridge to the beginning of A New Hope.

    Emperor Palpatine rocked.

    Anakin was hot (even if he was evil).

    Obi-Wan was awesome.

    I agree about the Anakin/Padme scenes. Y'know, I've never liked Padme's character, and have always wondered where Leia got her spunk. I mean, Leia was one bad-ass woman. She must have got it from her dad.

    Oh well. All-in-all, a great improvement over Episodes I and II.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Dennis, I LOVE that Diet Pepsi commercial. It rocks.

    Jen he's in two scense, but no speech. Thankfully.

    Eden, They made his hair a bit grey at the sideburns...

    Matthew, I agree that it exceeded my expectations. I'd have to see it again (or several more agains) to determine whether it reached the heights to the original trilogy. I think in terms of captivating my childhood imagination, that it likely can't, but in terms of making me care about the characters and suspense, it was just as great. Anakin was attractive - and I've NEVER found him attractive before. I love Obi-Wan. (That fight scene flat out rocked.) Padme in the first one was a real spunky character - since then she hasn't. And in this one, all she really did was sit on the counch...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.