It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

15.5.05

So I'm feeling much better. The drugs work wonders, but I am feeling better. I can turn my head. I even went to football today (I didn't play though. Nor did I drink when we went out afterwards.)

So what's been going on that doesn't involve sports related injuries?

Iraq is moving towards a civil war
. Is Iraq really better off? And what's the best solution? Is it to leave now and let them sort out the mess themselves (a mess that we've created)? Or is it to stay and try to fix it, even if, as we do, we are breeding more resentment? I've had this discussion a lot in the last week or two, but I just don't know the answer. It's a tough debate.

Bolton's nomination was sent to the full Senate for a vote. I still don't see why he wants the job for a position that he doesn't believe in, or what makes him qualified, a bully who alienates those who work with and under him. You don't agree with him? He'll try to replace you. He doesn't like you, he won't play with you (even if he's your boss, like Powell was).

Here's a scary article on border control. "An attachment to a bill that supplements funds for Iraq, passed by Congress and now on the president's desk, would allow the United States once again to keep out and to deport foreign nationals not for their conduct, but for their politics—their ideas, their speech, and the groups with which they associate." Seriously, how far are we going to go?

The filibuster issue is likely going to hit the senate next week. This is going to be bad.


I was talking to a friend about the national ID debate. He thinks they are ok and no different from driver's license. As American Progress argues, "The Nation's DMVs are not equpped to handle implementing Read ID. Already besieged by long lines and inadequate staffing, the country's DMVs are not prepared to validate and check birth certificates, photo IDs, proof of Social Security numbers and various other documents this bill will require. DMVs were not set up to be de facto immigration law enforcers."

Looks like Texas may have put an innocent man to death. Go Texas. Just screams support for the death penalty, no? Via Postcards From Nowhere.

Social security, social security, social security. God, I hope people are happy with their president choice now...

I found gas for $1.99 the other day. It's sad that was a cause for celebration...

6 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said…

    Must one be a member of Congress to impeach George Bush or can any lawyer call the President for lying?

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Those are some troubling things you link to, Stephanie, but it's good that you link to them.

    I have a feeling things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

    If they get better.

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Yoda, Gotta be in Congress.

    Tony and Matthew, I agree. :(

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger EasyW said…

    Quit your bellachin! After the Republicians stole the election in 2000 (and again in 2004), did you go to work the next day? Did you eat? Unless you protested (which no one really did) or participated in extreme civil disobedience, you have no one to blame but yer sad pathethic sad sack selves.

    I don't feel bad that I voted for Nader in 2000. In fact, I feel bad that about 60 million other Americans didn't vote with me. And I wasn't "scared" into voting for for weak-ass Kerry in 2004 (I voted for Cobb).

    You're a fool if you think being a democrat is liberal. The political establishment- the Republicians and the Democrats - are selling us the same shit, just in different colored bags.

    Christ, until Joe and Jane Sixpacks like yourselves learn to think independently and have the guts to vote the way you KNOW is correct, you get what you deserve. Freedom for none.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Could be wrong here, but wouldn't the Bush proposal to drill in ANWR reduce gas prices?

     
  • At 12:04 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    Not likely. Less than 2% in about 10 years. That would last for about 5 years I believe. (I'd have to check on the numbers - but it's not for a long time, and it's for a finite time. The 2% part I remember.) And that's 2% of consumption NOW. We have to assume that it will be less of a percentage then. Any benefit is miniscule. Our resources would be better spent figuring out real alternate sources of fuel.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.