It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

10.5.05

So evidently I’m going to learn to drink while holding my pinky in the appropriate place and learn to smile at bad jokes rather than my current "are you stupid" face I usually go with. Seriously. On Thursday, I have to attend a half-day Professional Etiquette Program. As it was explained to me, I will learn "basic business etiquette (verbal diplomacy; non verbal etiquette; handshaking; visual image; business card presentation; tipping; corporate telephone manners; gender etiquette; voice mail/email etiquette; grooming; business dress, casual vs. formal introductions; suite entertainment; role of company ambassador; cell phone/blackberry use; smoking etiquette."

I was even warned not to mock this. This will be a challenge for me, as my main goal in life is to mock things, even things that I like. It's a sign of affection in my work. Unfortunately, "I am sure ... you believe that this program will be of absolutely no use to you. That you already know everything there is to know about functioning in a professional and courteous manner. Simply put, attend anyway. That way, when its done, you can impress me and everyone else with your stories about how you could have taught the class better!"

Well...ok then. First, I have no illusions that I know all about functioning in a professonal and curteous manner. In fact, I'm pretty sure that this entire course was scheduled solely for me. And wanna bet that my tongue ring and business dress (or lack thereof) are addressed in this training?

I’d love to be in Alaska right now. I love the sun. Of course, winter there would suck. But I can get into summer...

Via Eden:






Your Political Profile



Overall: 10% Conservative, 90% Liberal

Social Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Ethics: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal




And for the Clevelanders, check out the Forbes List of Best Places to Live. Cleveland was #14 in Culture and Leisure...Thanks to Really Bad Cleveland Accent for the link.

But is anyone else disturbed that there is a list of the

10 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No wonder the other quiz called me a Communist.

    Overall: 5% Conservative, 95% Liberal
    Social Issues: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal
    Personal Responsibility: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal
    Fiscal Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal
    Ethics: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal
    Defense and Crime: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said…

    Ok, so you ARE a wee bit...yeah, never mind. :)

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said…

    Hey Buffalo was #96 overall!

    And Cleveland #113.

    So why are we so darn down all the time?

    We're #96! Woo hoo!

    Ahem...

     
  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    They're going to cover all of THOSE issues in four hours? Someone should tell the presenters that it's not polite to rush through material without allowing for questions from the attendees.

    I actually wouldn't mind such a course. It doesn't hurt to be reminded of the standards for such items.

     
  • At 1:46 AM, Blogger Dern said…

    Yeehah, Portland is #26 (thanks to the engineers, culture & leisure, Education, and everyone seems to move there.....all I can say is many times in Portland in a group situation I'd be the only practically "native" Oregonian).

    Honolulu ended up at #103....no wonder I wanna get back to Portland.

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Indianapolis is #33 overall!

    I must say I'm shocked. But looking at the rankings we aren't great at any one thing, just consistently mediocre. In fact that shold be the new slogan advertising Indy.

    "Indianapolis - we're consistently mediocre!"

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    Caren, were you really wondering why?

    Jen, (1) I've been to Buffalo...ahh...yeah... (2) Hey, at least then I think for myself and whatnot rather than blindly accept just cause it's my party's position. But it explains why, other than you, I don't have Republicans in my life.

    Ontario, personally, it sounds like 4 hours of hell for me. But I don't care about standards for such things.

    Dern, when do you go back.

    Jason, I like it. :)

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Kevin Whinnery said…

    Hey Stephanie,

    Preordered your ticket to Episode III yet? In true dork fashion, I will be attending the 12:01am showing on May 19th...

    PS -
    The White Sox are indeed playing some good baseball right now, but I doubt their ability to sustain this level of production throughout the season. Their starting pitching has been fantastic, but Jon Garland hasn't had an ERA under 4.50 since he came into the league. Jose Contreras walks too many people, and El Duque gets hurt if you look at him funny. If the Sox pitch like this all season, they might win the World Series - but I think their collective blind squirrel has collected all the nuts it can realistically hope for.

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger Jeff said…

    Two things:

    1) I'm dying to hear what they have to say about business card presentation, and

    2) I dispute the existence of a "Cleveland accent." Clevelanders speak perfectly.

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    I'll let you know what I learn. :) And I think that we do speak perfectly.

    Kevin, of COURSE I've got tickets. 12:01 show as well. I agree that the White Sox are playing above their level, but play above your level long enough, and unless you really suck it up, you can afford to play .500 ball and still win. I know, I know, you can't win a penant in April and May. But still...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.