It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

4.5.05

I finally had a soccer game today. After three weeks of cancelations. We lost (none of my teams have won yet; do you think it's me??)

Anyway, here's what I learned. I can pull softball and football off. Both involve a lot of pauses in the game. I totally can't pull a soccer game off. Running back and forth, up and down the field for 40 minutes (even with a two minute halftime). I am not in shape for that. What the hell was I thinking, playing halfback?? Hello. Defense? Less running??

But at least I'm skilled in this game. I mean, I'm not a bad athlete for a girl. But in soccer, well, I did play since I was seven. We are over twenty years. Even if you take out the random years here and there that I took off, I'm certainly over 15 years. Even *I* can get decent at something in 15 years. (This is the hope that keeps me going with my career...) :)

Another thing I learned. I haven't played outdor soccer since college. (In law school, when I last played soccer, I played indoor.) So I haven't had to take a throw in in years and years. And when I played regularly, I didn't have nails. Right now, I have nails. Between the wet and my nails, the ball was not my friend.

I also learned that I'm not used to playing outdoor with guys. In indoor the field is smaller. Passes more controlled. So in the outdoor, the ball is loose more often. And the guys can kick the ball as hard as they can. It's intimidating going for a ball - in that split second when you realize that the guy is going to get there first, and he's gonna clear the field, so he's going to kick the ball as hard as he can, and you are right there...I'm such a wimp, I know.


So I'm looking forward to tomorrow's softball, where the running is limited. I need to rest. :)

My current indignation: (from MoveOn)

On Sunday morning, Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson told TV viewers nation-wide that the threat posed by liberal judges is "probably more serious than a few bearded terrorists who fly into buildings." When an incredulous George Stephanopoulos asked if Robertson really believed that these judges posed "the most serious threat America has faced in nearly 400 years of history, more serious than al Qaeda, more serious than Nazi Germany and Japan, more serious than the Civil War?," he responded, "George, I really believe that." [1]

ormer Vice-President Al Gore summarized this disturbing strategy of judicial hate mongering in a recent address to MoveOn members. Here are some of the incidents he covered:

The Republican leader of the House of Representatives responded to rulings in the Terri Schiavo case, by saying ominously: "The time will come for the men responsible for this to pay for their behavior." [3]

In previous remarks on the subject, DeLay has said, "Judges need to be intimidated," adding that if they don't behave, "we're going to go after them in a big way." [4]

A Republican Senator from Texas directly connected the "spate of courthouse violence lately" to his view that unpopular decisions might be the explanation. "I wonder whether there may be some connection between the perception in some quarters on some occasions where judges are making political decisions, yet are unaccountable to the public, that it builds and builds to the point where some people engage in violence." [5]

The Chief of Staff for another Republican senator called for "mass impeachment" by using the bizarre right-wing theory that the president can declare that any judge is no longer exhibiting "good behavior," adding that, "then the judge's term has simply come to an end. The President gives them a call and says: Clean out your desk. The Capitol police will be in to help you find your way home.'" [6]

Tony Perkins, leader of the Family Research Council, who hosted a speech by the Senate Majority Leader last Sunday has said, "There's more than one way to skin a cat, and there's more than one way to take a black robe off the bench." [7]

James Dobson who heads Focus on the Family focused his anger on the 9th circuit court of appeals: "Very few people know this, that the Congress can simply disenfranchise a court. They don't have to fire anybody or impeach them or go through that battle. All they have to do is say the 9th circuit doesn't exist anymore, and it's gone."



[8]

Edwin Vieira (at the "Confronting the Judicial War on Faith" conference) said his "bottom line" for dealing with the Supreme Court comes from Stalin: "He had a slogan, and it worked very well for him whenever he ran into difficulty: 'no man, no problem.'" [9]


[1] http://www.moveon.org/r?r=719
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=721

[3] http://www.moveon.org/r?r=714

[4]
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=716

[5] http://www.moveon.org/r?r=713

[6] http://www.moveon.org/r?r=717

[7] http://www.moveon.org/r?r=718

[8] http://www.moveon.org/r?r=712

[9] http://www.moveon.org/r?r=711

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.