It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

26.8.05

Did you know that there is a Shop-a-holics Rehab? [I bring this up only in light of my own shoe problem. I think I need help for it. When your job supports your addictions, you know you have issues. And this is a serious matter.]

"[T]the compulsive shopper really does have an addiction. This is a true disorder which affects about eight percent of the U.S. population. Ninety percent of those affected are women. Compulsive-Shopping Disorder (CSD) is an obsessive-compulsive disorder like compulsive gambling or compulsive binge eating. In fact, people with other addictive behaviors may also suffer from CSD." From here.

In fact, "Doctors have begun to treat people who suffer from a compulsive need to shop with a drug originally designed to treat depression. ... US doctors have responded by prescribing the drug Cipramil for shopaholics who carry on buying despite running into huge debt.
The drug is an anti-depressant from the same family as Prozac. " From here.

I somehow feel better know that my shoe obsession has a name for it. Now for those voices in my head...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.