It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

30.10.05

Ahh, Halloween. It's the most wonderful time of the year. Wait, that's Christmas. But Halloween is really the start of the Christmas season, is it not? I mean, right next to the Halloween decorations at Target are the Christmas decorations. It's getting out of control - the holiday season now starts in October. Americans are desperate for anything that takes them away from the everyday mundeneness of their lives, aren't they? And I get to see all the little kids trick or treating tomorrow. I do so love that. Especially the little kids. At first I thought that kids trick or treat at older ages than my friends and I did (it got not cool at some point), then I realized that no, the 12 year olds just LOOK like they are 18 nowdays. (We had this conversation in terms of first kisses, and how we were all teenagers of various ages, but kids are much younger than that nowdays. I can just see kids in Pampers...)

And speaking of of things getting uncool, why is it that we have all these things we like when we are young. Cartoons, toys, all sorts of things. We hit junior high, 6th grade, all of sudden those things are dorky. No longer do we like the things that we once did (though we probably secretly still do). This continues through high school. Oh, the things that are uncool. We go to college, and all those things are cool once again. It's cool to like what we liked in our childhood. Am I the only one who has noticed that? Maybe it's me? And the thing is, I don't think that the answer is we are trying to fit in or something. I really don't. I really think that at some point, we DO stop liking those things. But I think it's more than we are desperate to be an adult, we want to be grown up, and we somehow think that grown ups don't like cartoons or childhood things, so we don't either.

But I digress. That's not what I wanted to say about Halloween (before I got on my tangent). I love people watching. Maybe it's because I'm the sort who always feels removed from whatever situation is going on around me, but people watching is normally one of my favorite activites. And West 6th was great people watching last night. As good as people watching is in general, people watching on Halloween is the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice MLT... mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe....they're so perky. I love that. (Name that movie quote. And FYI, the book is much better.) Anyway, seeing everyone dressed up was awesome. People really feel like they are hidden when they are in costume, doing things that they would not otherwise do. And watching that, it was pure fantastic.

Though I didn't realize that the bars would be open to 3 am. Which means that I didn't get home until 5 am. Now I used to live in NYC. The bars were open until 4 am there. And I went out. Often. So every night, I wouldn't get home until 5 am. And not just on the weekends, I could do that during the week and still get to work the next day. But now, on a weekend, I totally can't. I was wiped by the end. Exhausted. And I slept about over 5 hours, and I'm still exhausted. I prefer the days when 3 hours was more than sufficient. Is this what happend when you get old? Does that mean that when 40 approaches, I'll need 10 hours to be ok. I'll be 50 and be doing nothing but sleeping??

The Browns. Are you f-ing kidding me? That's enough commentary. Oh, but how big of a dork am I? I'm sure most people know that I'm a huge dork. But I had to work today. I didn't want to miss the Browns game. So I TiVo'd it. Yes, I'm pathetic. After I saw that they lost, I wanted to delete it, but . Actually, not true, I watched until there was about 50 second left (when they missed on 4th and 17). I guess maybe I thought the game would turn out differently if I watched it??

Ok, yes, I'm pathetic, but I'm tired and going to bed. Judge away.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said…

    Damn it, now I feel guilty about not getting a Halloween outfit! I coulda been a Trick or Treater...with a sickle, a scythe, or a mower!

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    The chocolate coating makes it go down easier ;)

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been occasionally checking out your blog and I rather enjoy your write-ups. I can relate to your frustration with the Browns, I'm a Jets fan.

    On another note, if the definition of pathetic means cool & cute then I have to agree that you're pathetic.

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Yoga, my lawn does need to be mowed. :)

    Ben and Eden, yay for Princess Bride recognition. Seriously, read the book.

    keith, aww, thanks. Though at least witht he Jets, you have teams in the city that are good. Cleveland, all Cleveleand teams are cursed. Alas.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.