It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

28.2.05

I have another work query. Here's my thing: My secretary is out today. I needed some dates docketed. Usually, I tell my secretary to docket the dates, and she tells the docket clerk, and I have no responsibility whatsoever. Which, for the record, is what I prefer.

But when she is out, I somehow have to communicate the docket dates. (I could wait until tomorrow, but that just seems silly.) So I email the docket clerk, give her the dates I want changed and/or added to the docket in what cases. I end the email with "Thanks."

She emails back, "No problem."

Now...is the "no problem" a reply letting me know, "Ok, I got your email, and understand your instructions?" Or is it a reply that I owe a reply to. Like should I again say thanks. Should I acknowledge her reply at all, or just ignore it b/c it's her job to docket dates when I tell her to?? Or is that bitchy and whatnot, and makes it seem like I think I'm better than her because I'm an attorney and she's staff (I really try to avoid that. Some of the attorneys here - in fact, most of the old school attorneys - will treat staff inherently different than they treat other attorneys, and I try to be cognizant of that, and then perhaps I overcompensate.

I fear I am giving this way more thought that it deserves, yet I don't know the right answer, and it's driving me crazy. Am I doing it wrong? Am I being rude? (I didn't reply.) What would Ms. Manners say (or is it Mrs. Manners?) Without knowing this answer, I am not able to concentrate on my work.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    William - let's not forgot the three hours obsessing over it...

    Stephanie - I think I generally manage to look like an idiot. ;-) I'm amazingly worthless without my secretary!!

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Scarlett said…

    As an expert admin assistant, here is my official reply:

    No problem means: "I took care of it. Not a problem, because that is all I do all day."

    No reply needed at all.

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    I think it's always good to say "thank you" or "thanks!" at work, including e-mail.

    However, if you included the "thanks!" in the original e-mail requesting the work to be done, then there is no need to respond to the "no problem" e-mail.

    If, on the other hand, you simply requested him/her to do the work, and did not include a "thanks!" or "thank you" in it, and he/she responded with "no problem," then I think it would be good etiquette to respond with an e-mail which simply said "thanks!" or "thank you."

    And that's my Mr. Manners impersonation for today. ;-)

     
  • At 1:16 AM, Blogger Dern said…

    No Problem definitely means it'll get done, don't worry.....

    (In order to add confusion, wait a few days and send an email that says thanks....mass hysteria will result.....)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.