It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

2.12.05

The Cleveland Professional 20/30 Club had their Holiday party last night at Velvet Dog. I went early because I had soccer at 6.30 and 7.30, so I had to leave by 6.20. (Many may doubt whether I'd leave if I was at a bar. For the second game in a row, I actually did. My friend had to go to class at 6.30, so he made sure that I left when he did.)

Anyway, I get to my car (which I parked on Frankfort b/w W3rd and W6th rather in the lot b/c I was only there for 40 minutes) and my window was broken and someone stole all my stuff out of it. By this I mean my purse and all its contents (of which I'm most upset about my iPod - I LIVE on that thing), my briefcase for work and all its contents (and since I put my makeup on in the car this morning - lecture me later - that includes all my makeup. Of course, all my makeup is foundation, mascara, and blush, but still, it was MINE), and my soccer bag (so my cleats, shins, WARM CLOTHES, including my college sweatshirt that is truly irreplacable). All in all, over $100o was stolen.

I was so freaked out. Literally, I could not think. I am a control freak (try to contain your shock) and this really freaked me out. I called my dad and got his VM so I left him a message and called my friend who had been at the bar with me. He came over and during that time I was waiting, I called 911 (Cleveland Police said that I had to go to them) and my dad called - he just got out of the Justice Center which was within spitting distance from where I was, so he came over. It was really funny, my friend was picked glass from my car when my dad came up with his work car. And I say to my friend, "oh, good, [local television station] is here now." And he says, "no they aren't; you didn't call them." And I said that I did and pointed to the car, which has the news channel on it, and my friend asked if I was nuts. The look on his face - before I said it was my dad - was classic.

So the big pieces of glass were removed, my friend gave me two towels to put on the seat and floor in case they missed any class so I wouldn't cut myself, and I drove in the freezing cold to the police station. Since I had to come to them. What about fingerprinting? What about looking for witnesses? Evidence??

So after dealing with the Cleveland Police Department filing my police report for about an hour (where all I kept saying is that people suck) obviously my night was over. Except I was pissed - *I* like to decide when my night is over, you know? So I went to the soccer game (without a coat and dressed for work - damn thieves have my soccer stuff now!), mainly b/c it was the ref's last game b/c he's having surgery and I wanted to say hi. I ended up staying there for more than half the game. It was freezing.

Then I drove to my dad's house to get his car (he has a work car that he is using during the day) and went back to downtown. I know, I'm stupid, but it's like being upset when this happened that I couldn't go play soccer (which is all I kept saying at the police station), I felt like I was reaaserting control over my life, which gave me comfort. Like the sooner that I did "normal" things life would go back to normal. I know it makes no sense but that's the way that I felt.

So now I'm on the phone with my insurance company and glass companies trying to find someone who can do this for me TODAY rather than Monday. The best I have found is tomorrow - I'm about to go with that I think. They will at least come to me and I don't have to go to them. But that still leaves me without a car for today. My dad can't drive his work car when he's not working and all that stuff. This is just an incredible hastle that I don't need.

I said it all last night and I'll say it again - People Suck.


In other news, this weekend is not one, but TWO shows of Trans-Siberian Orchestra. (Actually, they are here for three shows, but I only have tickets to two of them. I show some restraint, don't I? And I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go to the third show.) I'm also going to the Browns game this Sunday. Tailgating, the entire party. I suspect that because God likes messing with me, it will be cold out again. Or maybe because it's December.

Speaking of, can you believe that it's Christmas? That is amazing. I can't believe how fast this year has gone. And I didn't do too bad with my New Year's Resolution as well. You can always do better, of course, but overall, I get a "passing" grade on sustaining New Year's Resolutions.

And I got the tickets that I have to sell for this Easter Seals Guys and Dolls Bachelor and Bachelorette Bid were there. Yikes. Anyone want to pay $40 to come and see this event? It's all a good cause. Let me know. I need to sell 8, and I think that if you could the random search engine people, I have 8 readers. OK, maybe not.

11 Comments:

  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said…

    I AM SO SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man that's horrible! :( I'd be saying way more than "people suck", alogn with alot of profanity, so I applaud your restraint (or maybe you just left the profanity out of this). Good luck with teh insurance comapny. :\

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Thanks Jen. And Jason, really at the time, it was mostly that people suck. That's it. I only have to pay $100 to have the window fixed but b/c my deductible on my homeowners insurance is $1000, well, I can't get any of that stuff replaced. :(

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I hope they find the bastard.

    I'm curious: why was your purse in the car & not w/ you? Did you just take in like keys & lipstick so you wouldn't have to lug a purse? I do that, esp now that I have a diaper bag, not a purse.

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's terrible. I'm sorry.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Yoga Korunta said…

    I have athletic clothing you can have!

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger EasyW said…

    I'm so sorry - that sucks. When I lived in Lincoln Park (Chicago), my entire apartment got robbed (on St. Patrick's Day, no less). This was back in 1994, so losing irreplaceable CDs (like a promo only copy of "Siamese Dream' that Billy Corgan and James Iha had give to me personally) was a horrible thing. Eveuentially, I got over it. You will too.

    While I wouldn't encourage you to commit insurance fraud, there were probably items stolen from your car/briefcase that you either 1) don't remember or 2) won't remember til later. OVER estimate your claim!!!'

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Jeff Hess said…

    Shalom Stephanie,

    Yeah, it sucks. I, for one, am happy that you weren't in the car at the time.

    Stuff is replacable. You aren't.

    B'shalom,

    Jeff

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    UGHHHHHHHHH. That SUCKS! :(

    I had my car broken into while visiting Toronto a few years back. SO NOT FUN.

    People suck.

     
  • At 12:48 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    Eden, I have one of those purse wallets. I brought that into the bar with me, leaving the rest of my purse there.

    Thanks Jennie.

    David, I obviously shall have to get new athletic clothing. And soon - I have a game on Thursday.

    Jeff, if I were in the car, I could have driven it.

    Caren, I geel your pain. I drove in Toronto once. Scared the shit out of me.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Finally managed to get back and see the response. Yeah, I love me some purse wallet and many times I've left all the rest of the junk in the car and taken just the wallet-on-a-string-part with me. That'll learn me.

    Although now it's like if they want a bag full of diapers and sippy cups, go for it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.