It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

28.2.05

I'll admit it. I take pleasure at this.

1. "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," CBS, 30.7 million viewers.
2. "American Idol" (Tuesday), Fox, 27.1 million viewers.
3. "American Idol" (Wednesday), Fox, 26.3 million viewers.
4. "Desperate Housewives," ABC, 24.2 million viewers.
5. "Survivor: Palau," CBS, 23.7 million viewers.
6. "Without a Trace," CBS, 21 million viewers.
7. "CSI: Miami," CBS, 19.4 million viewers.
8. "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," ABC, 18.3 million viewers.
9. "CBS Sunday Movie: Stone Cold," CBS, 18 million viewers.
10. "Lost," ABC, 17.9 million viewers.

Anytime that American Idol isn't #1, I gain more respect for America. And despite American Ido being 2 of the top 10 (actually, top 5. Or 3), Lost still remains in the Top 10. And Donald Trump fell out of the top 10. (Sorry Peter, I hope you make the show and all, but I really hate Trump.) Go America! Throw away the reality tv-show ness. There are so many more worthwhile shows out right now...

I sure with that OUR government would quit.

What is UP with Launch? They have played Mariah Carey TWICE today. Grr...I had no idea until today that she even had a Greatest Hits cd, and actually, I was comfortable with that lack of knowledge.

Note that it is 4:30 and I haven't mocked anyone's dresses at the Oscars yet. This is a real growing experience for me, no?

I saw empty seats during the ceremony! Did you! (This was the first year they used SAG Actors rather than volunteers. I have to say...volunteers are better. Shocking, I know.)

First, Morgan Freeman. Yay. But come on, that was a "lifetime" Oscar rather than a "this performance" Oscar. Don't get me wrong, it's a travesty that this was his first win. He is a great actor. But if the Academy wouldn't get all emotional and would truly give awards for the best performance of the year, then there wouldn't be that problem. No one else other than him could have pulled that scarf off either. He does lose points for thanking God - I'm with the camp that says God has WAY more important things that celebrities Oscars - but whatever.

DID EVERYONE GET A LOOK AT ADAM DURITZ? That's all that needs to be said. Same with Robin Williams.

Penelope Cruz - the bow HAD to go. From the front, you looked so nice. And it was especially nice b/c it was the year of bad boobs, and you didn't fall into that. Until you had the "I'm a bridesmaid and the bride hate us" bow on the butt going on...We had a running list of people who should NOT be wearing what they were...

Speaking of - Hilary Swank? That neckline was truly awful. And the back...ok, I liked the back, but perhaps have that come up three inches, and the front go down three inches? I was afriad that if you dropped something...but I actually liked the back. I'd just rather the front be cut too.

Beyonce - ok, she changed often b/c of singing and all, but I liked the dress she was on the carpet. Simple. I like simple. (Hey, here's MY thought on how to save time. Don't sing every song nominated. Whatever song wins, only perform THAT one. There's 20 minues right there - taking 4 songs out. And it's better than bring EVERYONE on stage and announcing the winner and making the losers stand there on stage the entire time. Give me a break. It was like a dance where the friends who weren't asked to dance had to watch a friend (or acquiantaince) dance with the person that they wanted lots. Except they were on a jumbotron the entire speech or something. Smooth.) (Oh, and who was the guy who started his speech about how long he's practiced his speech in the bathrub. Creepy...But I digress.)

Laura Linney -- there are NO words for that disaster think you had going on. And your hair was awful too.

Cate Blanchett - what the FUCK was that maroon thing you had going on?? And I personally wasn't a fan of the yellow - too light for her skin - but Nicole Kidman does that same stuff with the yellows and greens that I think wash her out, and they love her. What do I know of fashion??

The little Van Peebles thing - the doo rag. I get it. You are black. But come on, it's the Oscars. And what is with the tie thing? It's the Oscars. (This comment applies to all except Johnny Depp.)

And now Johnny Depp. I was hugely in the minority at the party in that I liked his outfit. (And when I say "hugely in the minority," that means that I was the only one who forgave him. We had a long discussion about scruff (I was also the only one in favor of scruff on a guy). So his look was good conversation material. He reminded me of his character in Benny and Joon. I wouldn't have liked this on anyone else, so yes, I concede that there is a possibility that I am allowing personal feelings to influence it. But I liked the smoking jacket look he had going. Of course, it WAS the Oscars, and perhaps that demands a little more respect, but still...

Was Sophie Okonedo getting married?

Annette Benning - her hair looked like Clay Aiken. I dont' care how talented you are (and I think she is hugely talented) but your hair shoudn't EVER look like Clay Aiken's. Clay Aiken's hair shouldn't even look like Clay Aiken's...

And speaking of bad hair - Scarlette Jonansson.

For the woman who did have a decent neckline (so I'm obviously discounting Hilary Swank -- Have I mentioned that I hated her front -- what was with the lack of necklaces. It made the cuts look bare and empty. Here's a though -- I got one at Claire's for Jump Back Ball this past weekend for about $10. If you are so unpopular that no designer will pay you money to have you wear and keep their jewelry, then spring for the $10 to complete the look. Then again, I'd have fewer things to complain about I guess...

Oh, and who was wearing the deconstructed dress? The black think that you had to wonder if it was two pieces. I guess that was so awful that I blocked it from memory.

And the damn Oscars go too late here on the East Coast. My two cents.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Now if only 20+ million people would stop watching AI. I hate that Alias has to air opposite that juggernaut piece of shit.

    Even if Morgan Freeman won the "body of work" Oscar, I don't mind. He's so fucking cool and such a class act.

    Laura Linney and Scar Jo had such bad hair. My hair looks better if I let it air dry.

     
  • At 12:33 AM, Blogger p.p. said…

    Stephanie, you would so watch if I was on Apprentice. ;)

    What has happened to NBC? Must see TV? Not so much.

    Oh, I hate "Entertainment Tonight."

     
  • At 1:13 AM, Blogger Dern said…

    My current TV knowledge includes the names of those shows.

    And, the oscars were shown tape delayed on the West coast (9PM PST). Which fortunately was 7P HST :).

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Sarah, it's not that I mind Morgan Freeman winning for his career, I just think that if they selected the BEST performance of the year rather than the sentimental one, they wouldn't constantly be picking people for bodies of work b/c they wouldn't have screwed them over in previous years.

    Peter, of course, we all would. Painful as it would be.

    Dern (Ward disappeared), I'd so prefer the 7 pm. But the Oscars started (the ceremony itself) at 8:30 here, so the West Coast wasn't any better than we were. LATE LATE LATE.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.