It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

16.6.05

Ok, The Daily Show today was the funniest thing that I've seen in a LONG time. Anytime the Patriot Act is defined for people ("sweeping counterterrorism measure carefully crafted to be just restrictive enough to inpinge upon civil liberties without actually helping") and the House Armed Services Committee Chairman not allowing people to take and hitting the gavel to end the meeting and walking away ("He literally took his gavel and went home. We are officially being governed by children."). And while all that is good and had me laughing, I was specifically talking about A Relatively Closer Look.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to call it. Tuesday afternoon, 2:43 pm, the debate over Guantamano has it's first official Hitler reference. Now we're getting somewhere. You know, I don't think someting can even be considered an issue or a debate in this country unless there has been a Hitler reference."

"These days when it comes to demonozing your enemies, there a certain someone whose name is on everyone's lips. ... Adolph Hitler, one of the worst mass murderers in all of history, has now become the go-to metaphorian comparison for anyone you have a disagreement with."

Of course, turning to the filibuster debate, when first Robert Byrd comparied the Republican's attempt to end the fillibuster to Hitler and the Holocaust. "You see what he did right there? He set up the moral equivalency between ending the filibuster and the Holocaust. That's personally offensive to me because my grandfather survived the filibuster." Then Santorum said that Byrd's comments 'lessened the decorum of the Senate' and then 2 months later, Santorum compared the Democrats arguments for the filibuster to Hitler. "It may look like hypocricy, but remember, in this case its Rick Santorium comparing the Democrats to Hitler. So you can see it's different"

"When you compare people to Hitler, you lose a little credibility. Plus, there are more civil ways of voicing disagreement to take that rhetoric down a notch. " Thus, Pat Buchanan comparing Teri Schiavo's husband to a nazi in general (as opposed to Hitler) was ok, so "noe we can discuss this at a a reasonable level."

But the best was the closing. "To sum up, please stop calling people Hitler when you disagree with them. It demeans you, it demeans your opponent, and to be honest, it demeans Hitler. That guy worked too many years too hard to be that evil to have any Tom, Dick, or Harry say, "hey, you're being Hitler." No. You know who was Hitler? Hitler!!"

This A Relatively Closer Look is the funnist thing I've seen in a LONG time. I keep rewinding it. I can't help it. Thank God for season pass of TiVo. I didn't do it justice. Catch the rerun in an hour, or Monday.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:42 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    It really was beautiful. I know Jon has been waiting forever to go on a huge rant about the Hitler topic for awhile, because I remember reading interviews from the fall when he was complaining about that.

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    I'm very grateful for The Daily Show. It's an oasis of political sanity.

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger -Me said…

    He is my hero too. I didn't know that Jon wanted to rant about Hitler, but seriously, it was the funniest thing that I've seeni n a LONG LONG LONG time. I kept on rewinding it, and watched in several times, and couldn't bring myself to delete it from TiVo just yet. And "oasis of political sanity" is one way to describe it! :)

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Curtis said…

    The sad thing is is that it's usually the losing political party that starts comparing things to Hitler. I am disgusted that the Democrats are starting to do this all the time. Why is my party led by a bunch of idiots?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.