It's the end of the world as we know it...

Politics, philosophy, the law, current events, left leaning debates, religion, baseball, football, pop culture, growing up Greek, random events in my life...whatever hits my mind at the time.

2.9.05

I've been strangely silent on the tragedy caused by Katrina. And that's because my heart goes out to everyone affected by this, but much like 9.11, it's way too much tragedy for me to take in all at once. I can't process it yet. Death. Destruction. Tragedy. I need more time. But a few things I need to get out.

First, FEMA blasting those who stayed for staying (as if leaving, traveling somewhere else, and getting a hotel or something was financially possible for many of them) is disgusting. Classless. You can think it privately, I don't care. But to say it is heartless.

The snipers make no sense to me. What is wrong with you people? Disasters really bring out the best and the worst in people. It's sad, really. Looting is not good, but really, not the same level as snipers, at least in my world.

And let's not even talk about whether the media is being racist in portraying all of this. (I will say that one of the radio guys here on WTAM was commeting on a story how a white kid "found" groceries at the grocery store, whereas black kids "looted" groceries from the grocery store. I haven't read either article, so I can't comment.)

Though the rest of the world's offers to help are nice. Being the US and the self-proclaimed only superpower in the world, that's rare.

You know, on Bush's watch, the wrost terrorist attack occurred and one of the worst, if not the worst, natural disasters occurred. Now, I'm not saying that they have anything to do with the price of beans, I'm just noting...

Finally, let's discuss why our response is "not acceptable" jackass. It's becase you send the National Guard - people who are supposed to respond to such tragedies - to Iraq. They aren't equipt to respond when they are down people.

Also, yesterday I learned that even at age 29, if you wear pigtails, some guy will revert back to being 8 and feel the need to yank on them. All evening long. (And for the record, I look adorable with braided pigtails. Some guy asked me if I was Native American b/c I looked like Pocahontas. Hmm...Disney characters aren't exactly the look I was going for, but ok...)

9 Comments:

  • At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with absolutley everything you've said including the pigtails. Oh many naughty thoughts too....

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Erinna said…

    I'm with you...can't process it. Too much.

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I know what you mean. I linked to articles and such, but I didn't discuss a lot of the details of the aftermath because it's just too much. I don't think I could write about everything I've read or seen.

    It's much easier to focus on things like other countries offering aid (aww, Sri Lanka) or the incompetence of this administration. Today, Bush said: "The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)"

    Thank God! Because my biggest concern, like everyone else's, is rebuilding Trent Lott's house. His cheerful attitude isn't helping anyone (even conservative papers are criticizing him), and I'd really like Mayor Ray Nagin to deal with him.

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger EasyW said…

    So you voted for Tweedledumb instead of Tweedledumber? that is not something to be proud of... If you really wanted to make a difference, you should've voted for Cobb (or Nader in 2000). I'm still pissed at "liberals" who voted for Kerry (or Gore). KERRY IS NOT LIBERAL!!!!

    Pigtails never did it for me. I don't have a fetish for preteens - that's just sick. The Catholic school girl look, now that's a whole different ball game...

    As much as I despise him, Newt Gingrich had a good comment regarding prepardness.. something to the effect of if the US Gov and homeland security etc have been working so hard for the past 4 years and can't help victims of a hurricane we saw coming hundreds of miles away, how is the gov going be able to respond to a surprise nuclear or biological attack. An asshole, yes, but a valid criticism.

     
  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said…

    Ahhh, read my rant today. You'll enjoy it. We are of the same mind!!!!

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I think the story you mean is actually two photographs, which you can find here.

    I also didn't say much in the first few days but like you I've reached the point where I had to say something. Erin called it "righteous indignation" and I like that.

    FEMA are idiots. I say this as a native Floridian and one who watched them collapse in on themselves during Andrew's aftermath.

    I guess they think that everyone in the country owns a car, has money for gas, has out-of-area relatives to stay with or money for a hotel. These people did exactly what they were told to do: evacuate to the shelter at the Superdome (or elsewhere). It's not their fault FEMA (a.k.a. "Feeble") never has its shit together.

    Homeland security indeed.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Halliburton has been hired to help clean-up after the hurricane.

    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3335685

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger -Me said…

    Sarah, I hadn't heard that comment! Yikes! That's what I feel about the pigtails too. ANd by the way, the reason I voted for Kerry is because I think that although he isn't perfect, the distinction between him and Bush was huge. Voting for a third party candidate is iealistic, but not practical. If someone who is ok has a chance to beat someone who I truly feel is one of the worst presidents in history, then I'd go with ok. Oh, but back to pigtails, it actually started b/c I wanted my hair curly. Jen, I'll check out your post. Thanks Eden for the link. Halliburton? You've GOT to be kidding me.

     
  • At 2:08 AM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said…

    At least your pigtails weren't dipped in the inkwell.

    Your comment about Bush's watch reminded me about something regarding the second worst terrorist attack in American history - not the fact that it happened on Clinton's watch, but the fact that it was perpetrated by white men. Yet I don't see people asking that I be thrown out of the country.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site
Meter Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Listed in LS Blogs Blog Directory & Search engine

Days until Bush leaves office.
Designed by georgedorn and provided by Positronic Design.
Grab your own copy here.